Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #106
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002
Re: FOUND - McLaren F1 Replica!!!!!

Wingfield D Type replica? As close to a genuine D Type as it's possible to get unless you buy a continuation Jaguar built one.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:59 AM   #107
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,755 Times in 734 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to accurately recreate something. I simply disagree with the practice of creating fake examples of precious items.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #108
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

As long as you openly admit it's a recreation and you're being hones about what it is then I don't see anything wrong in it but then I may be biased having spent a good part of my adult life building replicas.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #109
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,755 Times in 734 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

That's the majority of the problem - very few replica owners are forthcoming about the origins of their creations, whether built or bought, preferring to attempt to fool everyone else while doing the same to themselves.

It is an especially large problem whereas in the case of a car like Ferrari's legendary 250 GTO, the fakes far outnumber the real ones and people try to bend reality with the ones that happen to be based upon the chassis or borrowed components of some other hacked up 250-series model. I don't give a pass to those cars any more than I would one based on a Fairlady Z.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #110
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Fully agree that any one trying to pass a replica off as real needs to be dealt with, As a rule almost all replicas will fall short in some way and I would be the first to admit that. To me the pleasure is in the building process. I generally sell them on after a short time driving usually just to make sure everything works as it should. At my age though starting another just is not an option.I respect you greatly Eric and certainly do not want to let things get out of hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbuilder2002 For This Useful Post:
AJTomlinson (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #111
AJTomlinson
AF Newbie

I have always had a special spot in my life for the F1. The idea that you can take 2 mates, not 1 but 2, on a road trip to a track in Europe (Spa etc) with luggage and not worry about visibility through the different countries due to that center seat just is.... special.

As I am a mere mortal working class individual with a modest income, a genuine example of this piece of automotive engineering mastery will always be beyond my reach (recent one sold for just shy of 13M).

But when you look at E-types, D-types and cobras, as stated before, they have had a strong replica following for decades. Even Ferrari's and Lambo's have a replica following.

However, if an F1 kit would become available, around the same as I would spend on a Cobra replica (maybe a little more), then I would hold off and get the F1.

My view of a replica is it should look as close to the real thing as possible (external, interior and engine) and I would try to fund it that way.

Alas, I don't have the knowledge (I can tighten bolts and follow instructions) nor the facilities to attempt a build myself so I would have to rely on a pro kit maker or custom car builder to produce one.

If a custom kit ever becomes available you can bet I will be one to sell the wife to get one!
AJTomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD