Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
ThatRoundHeadedKid
AF Enthusiast

Mercedes-Benz W126 or BMW E32?

If you were to set out for an executive saloon for less than 20,000 quid, which would you have?

I am actually torn between the two. Both were outrageously reliable and offered outstanding build quality and performance. Of course, Mercedes was always more on the line of comfort opposed to BMW, who are more on the line of performance. Both are solid tanks and are safe and offered some of the most cutting edge technology at the time.

But the more I think about it, the more I edge toward the Mercedes. In my opinion, it's just simply a better looking car and is more appealing to me. I would go for the BMW if i wanted it to be more sporty, but in essence, both are tanks and you wouldn't be that confident in throwing them into corners so that then becomes irrelevant. And this was at a time when Mercedes still built good cars. From then on, they went on their downward trend of making absolute lemons (as we are all aware of their reliability and build quality issues). It also gives you comfort in saying that it's a "good Mercedes," something that you can't necessarily say for the new Benzes lol. I'd hate to say it, but I would also think that the Mercedes is slightly more reliable than the BMW. I also know that the BMW offered the M70 V12, something that the Mercedes didn't offer and I know that the Mercedes 5.6 liter V8 only pumped out a weak 234 bhp and a not so bad 287 lb ft of torque (US Spec), but the Mercedes overall is just a more appealing car to me. I have sat in an E32 before and it just felt really cheap compared to the Mercedes. So I would have trouble deciding if I was opted both, but I would slightly lean more towards the Mercedes. Lastly, I'm aslo looking at an 86-91 420SEL, 560SEL/SEC
Ride #1: 1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 E320 Coupe (My first car/love)
Ride #2: 1975 Mercedes-Benz W116 280S (The restoration/hobby/project car)

~Chris~
My Diecast Collection!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
thrasher
AF Enthusiast

Re: Mercedes-Benz W126 or BMW E32?

I'd be going for the Mercedes, that is right around when they had a stranglehold on the top reliability spot. I also hate the way the hood lines on the BMW draw attention to the hideously ugly grill and front end in general. Neither is "sporty" in any sense, so I wouldn't get hung up on that at all. So yeah, my vote is for the Mercedes, hands down.

"Don't have sex man. It leads to kissing and pretty soon you have to start talking to them."
Steve Martin.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

I'm not a big fan of the E32 7-Series, but what about a E34 540i? Its not that much smaller then the 7, and is a much better car. I honestly don't think I'd put down the money on either the E32 or the W126, because neither were THAT good. At the time of these two cars Benz was entering its age of bad reliability and BMW was coming into its age of greatness.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
Old 04-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
ThatRoundHeadedKid
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
I'm not a big fan of the E32 7-Series, but what about a E34 540i? Its not that much smaller then the 7, and is a much better car. I honestly don't think I'd put down the money on either the E32 or the W126, because neither were THAT good. At the time of these two cars Benz was entering its age of bad reliability and BMW was coming into its age of greatness.
The E34 is a great car, but not a direct competitor. Also the all the 4.0 liter models suffered from the Nikasil engine block problem at this time.

Also, bear in mind that fortunately, this Mercedes was saved from becoming one of those problematic vehicles, something that the W140 suffered from.
Ride #1: 1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 E320 Coupe (My first car/love)
Ride #2: 1975 Mercedes-Benz W116 280S (The restoration/hobby/project car)

~Chris~
My Diecast Collection!
Old 04-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
crayzayjay
CFA

Gangster cars, love both of em, maybe leaning towards the beemer

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
ns17
AF Newbie

I think you could get a w140 for that price... my dad has a '94 s320 and it's ok. Its got some problems but that's probably because he pickd it up for 10 grand. Maybe you could geta w126 600sel. For me the ultimate one would be the 1998 w140 s600.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons