Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Not a DIN and a Half and NOT Double DIN

On my 1997 LeSabre my stereo opening is not a DIN and a Half, and it's not a DOUBLE DIN. It's a "Weird" opening. The only thing my local audio can do is a regular size DIN with a install kit.
I want a CD/Cassette unit. I can get a nice unit locally for $145, but it's a DIN and a Half.
Another Audio place 150 miles away can "customize" with PVC a mount for a DOUBLE DIN, but it costs $70 for the mount, $69 install and $400 for the unit. To much to spend.
Has anyone seen a mount to get a DIN and a HALF in a 97 LeSabre?
happydog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
sallisonbrown
AF Regular

Hey Happydog,
You might want to go back and look at previous posts covering this material.

Check out, "Newbie Radio Question", ""97 LeSabre Audio Deck Compatibility" and "AM/FM/CD Player" posts on this forum.

Good Luck, good reasonable units are out there.
Steve
sallisonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #3
Dr. Pimento
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Pimento
Re: Not a DIN and a Half and NOT Double DIN

As the starter of the "97 LeSabre Audio Deck Compatibility" question, I'll mention that your issue was what mine was - I had a Double DIN stereo set AND a Din-and-1/2, but neither of them fit - one was close, but just a little over. I think we're stuck with EXACT fits, from other cars in the Buick line.
Dr. Pimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I found a DIN, Pyle CD/Cassette but the reviews are horable. Found a nice Sanyo DIN, CD/Cassette but, mixed reviews, plus doesn't play MP3 Discs (Don't have any, just the fact it doesn't and some bad reviews).
I found a very good deal on a Pioneer, AM/FM/CD, DEH-P4600MP, with all needed parts to fit the DIN into my car (Radio, Mount kit, wireing harrness, attena adapter, shipping for $170).
This kind of makes me mad that GM does this. Makes it so the opening is so different and not compatable. I guess it's the stereo manufactures that don't make a good CD/Casette player with good features also.
I so much hate to give up my Cassette playing completely. No playing cassettes at all in my car.
I haven't ordered my Radio yet, I just can't forget my Cassettes. I'm trying to convince myself I'll have to give up my cassettes sometime in the future. After all, I don't have a turntable and I don't have a 8 track player anymore.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
Dr. Pimento
AF Newbie

If you want, look on eBay - you can usually find exact matches for our stereo for around 100-167 dollars - some even have "new" or "remanufactured" warrenties - so you get the CD player, plus the cassette player, as well. For example, see:
auction
Old 09-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. I was going to get a stock CD/Cassette but they are way underpowered. Stock Delco Stereos run at 2 watts RMS, 7 W Peak Power.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:38 PM   #7
Dr. Pimento
AF Newbie

There's always that to consider. I, myself, really don't play much in the way of "music" (unless you consider Weird Al as such) - at least, not that requires much power. I, personally, am more interested in leaving the "look" of the car the same.

As a favor, would you post up what you end up getting to work? I'd be interested to see.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:02 AM   #8
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

I am thinking I don't have MP3 ability now, so if I get a CD/Cassette that doesn't have MP3 I haven't lost anything from what I have now.

I want to pull the dash pannel off to look inside where the radio is. The dash pannel that goes across the dash, where the radio is, I don't see any screws holding it in. A macanic told me GM usally just pulls off. I didn't feel comfortable pulling on it. Anyone know if that's the way it comes off, just pull it? Thanks, Chris.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #9
sallisonbrown
AF Regular

Hey Chris,
Guess you didn't want to go back and read about "97 LeSabre Audio deck info on Tmans 7/26/04 post as recommended.

Anyway, check out: http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...ickLeSabre.htm
and it gives you everything you will ever need for radio and dash removal.
Good luck,
Steve
Old 09-21-2004, 07:39 AM   #10
Dr. Pimento
AF Newbie

As a rather important note.. I followed these directions a few months ago.. something they DIDN'T say is that there are some clips inside the vent areas.. I broke a couple of mine trying to pull the dash off. -.-
I feel like an idiot. Anyway, make sure you unclip those places after you've unfastened where carstereoheop.com tells you to, and when you're tugging on the dash.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:11 AM   #11
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

"Guess you didn't want to go back and read about "97 LeSabre Audio deck info on Tmans 7/26/04 post as recommended."
Is this the one with the link you provided? I did look at the link. I do't understand it. It says, "1) Remove panel releasing two clips" It shows the place where ON THE INSIDE the two clips are. When it says "remove" What does that mean? Push, pull, twist? What? "Remove" doesn't tell me how to do anything.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:04 PM   #12
sallisonbrown
AF Regular

Hay HappyDog,
"Remove", means just that. Pull, twist. rotate,...whatever. Internal clips usually just are plastic spreader clips that hold a part to a female opening. I guess they can't get much more specific, especially for FREE information.

You have to admit, they are better than nothing and much more explicit than most Stereo instruction sheets.

Anyway, good luck with your job.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:37 AM   #13
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

"I guess they can't get much more specific, especially for FREE information." Sure they can. '"Remove", means just that. Pull, twist. rotate,...whatever." whatever? You got to be kidding? Just get in and twist and pull the dash as hard as you can is "wahtever?" I guess you say this because it's not you who would be haveing to pay $ for a new dash from breaking it.
They could be a lot more specific then "remove". It is a big deal, it does matter if you are supoised to just pull off, or use a screwdriver, push up and out, down or over and out.
Like I said, "Remove" doesn't tell me (who is the one who has to pay for it iif it breaks) anyting.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:06 PM   #14
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Well, I got my factory CD/Tape Player. Real nice, clean unit. Took the dash off, took the old stereo out, put the new one in and put the dash back, all in about 25 minutes. It was really a lot easer then I thought.
Sounds good.
One thing tho. When I was trying to get the screw in one of the middel air vents, I droped the screw back in the vent. I went to a shop and asked the macanic if I could borow a magnet. When trying to fish out the screw, I lost the pencle size magnet inside the vent also. I'm going to get a kid with a smaller hand then I and have him/her try to reach in and find it. Looks kind of hard to get to the vent hose from underneath.
Thanks for the help, Chris.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:50 PM   #15
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

UPDATE. Got my friends kid to get his hand inside. He got the magnet with the screw stuck to the end. Everything is OK. Thanks again for the help, Chris.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre