Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
maddstyle
AF Newbie

93 2.2L wont start

This problem occoured in the same time span my head gasket blew, but I don't think it's realated. The day it stopped working, I was driving it without much problem, despite the gasket faliure. I parked it for the night, and the next morning it would simply not start.

I've checked up on all I can think of; it cranks fine, its getting spark, compression sounds good, the timing has not been messed with, it's getting fuel. My friend suggested the crankshaft position sensor could have failed.

I tried coving the intake with my hand while the engine was cranking and it tries to start; it sputters a bit but never really gets it right.

I've since replace the head gasket and rechecked everything, but still it won't start.

So right now I don't know where to look for the cause.

I appreciate all help, Thanks
Matt
maddstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: 93 2.2L wont start

IF you're getting spark, it's not a crank sensor, as a bad crank sensor would cause a no spark issue. I would bet your either not getting enough fuel pressure or the throttle position sensor is dead shorted causing the ecm to shut off fuel as though the car was flooded. Try unplugging the TPS and see if it starts. IF it still doesn't, you need to test the fuel pressure to see if it's within spec. On a 93, you should have a minimum of 35 psi I believe.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
maddstyle
AF Newbie

Thanks for responding,

I disconnected the TPS, but nothing seemed to change.

I've have done some testing on the fuel and I'm leaning towards a faulty fuel pressure regulator; I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn on the ignition, but I do hear it for 2 seconds after cranking. So I grounded the fuel pump to be constantly on and cranked, but still no go. I pulled out the FPR to open up the fuel rail. No fuel spills out when turned to ignition, but it does flow when cranking.

I know thats not much to work with, I'm going to test the pressure this week if I can get hold of a device.
maddstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier