Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
Cybersnake
AF Newbie

Unhappy Metallic noise from rear wheel at highway speed

I drive a 2003 Honda Accord with about 65,000 km on the odometer. I have just started to experience a fairly loud metallic sound when driving at highway speed (60 km/h or greater). The noise seems to originate at the rear passenger side wheel. My brakes were recently replaced (five months ago), so I don't think that it is a brake problem. Does anyone have any ideas about any possible causes? Should I be worried? Could it be a drivetrain component? The axle? A foreign object? Help!!!
Cybersnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
henrymv
AF Enthusiast

Re: Metallic noise from rear wheel at highway speed

you say metallic...can you be more specific? Does the noise start at a certain speed? Does the noise go away after a certain speed?
henrymv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
Cybersnake
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Metallic noise from rear wheel at highway speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymv
you say metallic...can you be more specific? Does the noise start at a certain speed? Does the noise go away after a certain speed?
It is a very light metal clanging sound. It does not sound like the sound made by a heavy metal part. The sound usually starts immediately after acceleration to highway speed. The noise will be present at 70 kmh, but not usually at speeds below 60 kmh. I noticed, and this may be pure coincidence, that it started also after I turned the steering wheel to the left. The sound stopped when I turned the wheel back to the right, but started again shortly after, when I was driving straight ahead. The noise is somewhat intermittent, even at highway speed, and the noise volume varies from almost inaudible to annoyingly loud. I hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:19 AM   #4
henrymv
AF Enthusiast

Well you can forget that the sound is coming from the back. Because this car is front wheel drive. Sounds like the noise is coming from the front axles. I would take it in and have someone look at it. Unless you know what to look for in front axles and CV joints.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #5
phantastic1
AF Enthusiast

if you believe it's coming from the back just jack the rear end up and pop of the tires and check for anything loose.
phantastic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
Cybersnake
AF Newbie

Thanks for your advice, guys. I will have someone take a look at all four wheels and axles. I'll let you know what they find.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:08 AM   #7
henrymv
AF Enthusiast

Good luck...let us know what they find....
Old 11-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #8
Cybersnake
AF Newbie

Well, I took my vehicle to the Honda dealer. I asked the dealer to look at the wheels, etc. The dealer said that there is no point because "everything is sealed". The dealer thought that the noise could be a rear brake wear indicator contacting the calipers. My rear brakes were at 45% at 50,000 kms, so it could be time to service the rear brakes. The dealer refused to road test the vehicle at or above highway speed, and suggested that I waited until the noise became worse before dealing with the problem. I wasn't too happy with the dealer's attitude, so I may take my vehicle someplace else for a second opinion, although the rear brake scenario is quite plausible.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #9
henrymv
AF Enthusiast

I would be very skeptical about the dealership in that they want the problem to get worse so they can charge you more. Take it to a local garage.....good luck
Old 11-10-2004, 12:38 PM   #10
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

After working for a dealership this summer, all I can say is NEVER go to a dealership. They overcharge, are usually half-incompetant, usually filled with pricks, and again they OVERCHARGE!

That ranting aside, if it is your brake wear indicator, it will be a high-pitched metallic screaching noise. It will progress into a sound that resembles fingernails across a chalkboard...it will literally give you tingles in your spine...the point is that it is there to get your attention. If it is this piece, then it should be louder when you apply your brakes.
Also just because you replaced your brakes 5 months ago, assume nothing, brakes are designed to get worn down, so depending on your driving style, they may get worn down faster than you would imagine. Depending on the materials used, and on your braking style (I'm not implying that you are a bad driver) they can wear down oftly fast.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 PM   #11
henrymv
AF Enthusiast

LMAO.....I feel you frustration IGOVERT500...Dealership are not trust worthy....

I concur about the brake, however, ifthe brakes are wearing quickly it could also be a disc that is warped, not machined?? Are they drum or disc?? If it is the indicator, just get them replaced.....that why you know if it is that...brakes pads or shoes are cheap and easy to replace.....
Old 11-10-2004, 10:26 PM   #12
Cybersnake
AF Newbie

Thanks for all your input, guys. I will definitely get the problem checked out somewhere other than my Honda dealer.

One interesting development today...the noise has started to appear when I am reversing. So far, the noise has never appeared while I was braking. The dealership said that, just because there is no noise on braking, it doesn't mean that it isn't the brakes causing the noise. Anyway, time will tell. Once again, I greatly appreciate all of your feedback!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid