Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
Sumo-kun
AF Newbie

Decals on Black!?

Hi, my first post!! Anyway, could anyone tell me how to put decals on a black coat of paint? I want to paint my car black but if I do, the decals will obviously turn out really dark and crappy. Is there any way to achieve the "decal on white" finish but on a black coat? Thanks for any help!
Sumo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
Harlock
AF Regular

I don't quite understand your question, but as long as you put them down with no air bubbles or anything they should blend right in. Wait for some more opinions, but I don't see it as a problem.
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Sumo-kun
AF Newbie

Well, basically, when I put down a decal on black paint, it turns out darker than when I put it on white paint because the paint colour underneath shows through the thin decal. Fot example, if I put a white decal onto a white paint, it turns out white. No problems there. But when I put that same white decal on, say, a red paint, it turns out pink... Not quite what I'm looking for. Would I need to put some white paint under the decal or something? Or do people just put decals on whatever colour paint 'cos they don't care? I'm building a Tamiya Lancer Evo VI WRC and the white/red paint scheme is making my decals pink in some parts. Also I'm doing a Black Lancer V where I want to add some sponsor decals on the side but they turn out all dark and murky. Any ideas? Thanks!
Sumo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
joecwlaw
AF Enthusiast

Re: Decals on Black!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo-kun
Well, basically, when I put down a decal on black paint, it turns out darker than when I put it on white paint because the paint colour underneath shows through the thin decal. Fot example, if I put a white decal onto a white paint, it turns out white. No problems there. But when I put that same white decal on, say, a red paint, it turns out pink... Not quite what I'm looking for. Would I need to put some white paint under the decal or something? Or do people just put decals on whatever colour paint 'cos they don't care? I'm building a Tamiya Lancer Evo VI WRC and the white/red paint scheme is making my decals pink in some parts. Also I'm doing a Black Lancer V where I want to add some sponsor decals on the side but they turn out all dark and murky. Any ideas? Thanks!
you can buy a blank of "white decal" made by modellers. It is a sheet of white water-slide decal in around B5 size (24.5 x 14.5cm).

Just cut in the desired size and then paste it under the car livery, then it will look more white than just pasting the car livery decals.

Here is the link to the "MDLD915 Modelers Color Decal White By Cartograf

Regards,
Joe
joecwlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
geedup
AF Enthusiast

they should turn out fine, depending on how thick the actual decal is, mostly mine have turned out good on dark paint

ongoing project: convertible s14/180sx one-via
finished: Porsche 911 GT2 _______________________________________________

geedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

I make my own decals, and beside some "easy to cut" decal, you can't do anything with the white sheets.

What I would really like is a printer that can print white.. but it's a bit expensive for few custom decals ;-)
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling