Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Colorado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
koolwhizzer
AF Newbie

Changing front brake rotors on my 2005 Colorado

Hi,
I just took off the front wheel on my 2005 colorado and noticed the front brake rotors come off differently than any other car i worked on. What do i have to do to take them off to get them turned down or replaced? Looks like i may have to unplug ABS and loosen up the 4 bolts on the backside of the mounting plate, not sure? Any help would be greatlt appriciated.
Al
koolwhizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Chevycolorado
AF Newbie

Re: Changing front brake rotors on my 2005 Colorado

I'm in the same boat as you. But as i've been told so far you have to loosen off the 4 back bolts, unhook your abs and remove your axle nut. Then attatch a slide hammer to the outter part of the hub assembley and go nuts. I gave it a try the other weekend and i got nowhere, now i might just not be trying hard enough i'm just worried about breaking something. This is the first hidden rotor i've ever seen. i'll keep you up to date if i get anywhere or let me know if the slide hammer works for you.
Chevycolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
tweaver274
AF Newbie

Hey I am with the two of you guys! I think your both right about taking the bolts on the back off and using a slide hammer! Whats up with these new vehicles! I have know idea what the people where thinking when someone said "hey I have an idea lets put the rotor behind the axle so they will have to take apart the whole front end to change the rotors!" How is this better!? By the way has anyone figured out what the correct way to take these things off? Thanks
tweaver274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
sctrain
AF Newbie

I have a 2006, the brakes are getting close, I asked the service shop about the brakes and cost, they stated that those rotors have to be pressed off and on? they would do it but suggested taking it to the dealer, I have not spoke to the dealer yet.
sctrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Chevycolorado
AF Newbie

The dealer will tell you that the GM book says 4.85 hours to change both front rotors and the average dealer charges $100 an hour plus shope fees, which results in roughly $600 to change the rotors not including the actual parts. All in all i was hoping to do them myself to save myself that kinda cash so i was wondering if anyone has actually taken them off themselves.
Chevycolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
sdogg0
AF Newbie

Those rotors can be a living hell. Those 4 bolts and axle nut that you were told to remove are actually the front hub mounting bolts. The only bad thing that can happen when you try to remove these front hubs is breaking the hub in two, the sensor on the rear of the hub will usually seize into place and stay in position, if you figure in the cost of 2 new hubs the $600 turns into over a $900 job. One break is if you take it to your dealer and ask if they have an on car brake lathe. If your rotors are turnable these machines can turn the rotors on the vehicle and save you a lot of time/money/ and mostly EFFORT
sdogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I haven't done one yet but I read a write up that somebody who did one posted.
Basically he was able to get a combination wrench in and remove the holder for the pads. You may have to loosen them before removing the bolts.This in itself is a big time saver. He used a block of wood and tapped it off. I would use a puller some Honda's used this type and I used a slide hammer to remove. They also make them that use a screw I have both types.
If he did it I'm sure Chevrolet mechanics do it all the time. Look very closely as he even had pictures.
You can use google search. Note if very tight use the box end and use another wrench loop the box end over the open end twice the length.
Look closely then go to Advance or Auto Zone and borrow a puller.
Buy quality pads like bendix.
Note he was a skilled do it your selfer.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
steeliron2
AF Newbie

Well, my husband and friend summons me to help them out by looking on the internet about how to take off the rotors on a 2005 Chevy Colorado. I read them all of the above comments and they just laughed.

They said it took them an hour and a half along with drinking some beer to decide to put everything back together and revisit it on another day.
They tried removing the ABS and still couldn't figure out how to get the rotor off.
They really enjoyed listening to all the others who were having trouble TRYING to remove the rotors and enjoyed tweaver274 comments.
If anyone has any help, other than sending the truck to the dealers and having them replace the rotors, that would be helpful.
Cheers!
steeliron2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Those rotors are designed to have them turned while on the vehicle, by an on car brake lathe....when they have to be replaced, they have to be pressed on/off.....stupid design....money maker for garages.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Colorado