Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #31
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs down Re: HOW TO: Change your serpentine belt on a 95-02 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet222
I know this thread is a little old, but...

I need a diagram for a 1996 2.2L *WITHOUT* the tensioner (tensioner/idler pulley combined). The parts stores don't have a diagram for this, they all include a seperate tensioner and seem to think I'm lying about not having one.

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?i...pentine7to.png

Thanks in advance for any help at all!
Prophet, that's the weirdest ?... u do have a tensioner/idler pulley combined on that vehicle... it's right next to your power steering belt pulley!
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:08 AM   #32
Prophet222
AF Newbie

Re: HOW TO: Change your serpentine belt on a 95-02 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricebike
Prophet, that's the weirdest ?... u do have a tensioner/idler pulley combined on that vehicle... it's right next to your power steering belt pulley!
okay, I think I worded my question poorly. What I meant is

"I need a diagram for this car without the seperate tensioner

my idler and tensioner are combined into a single device"

anyhow no worries all problems solved
Prophet222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #33
Cavalier2000
Banned

sounds a little better, i though you were saying you had something like an old school motor were you lossen the altenator to get the belt off
Cavalier2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #34
Cavalier2000
Banned

o and not parts guy here I work in a law firm
Cavalier2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #35
spazmo
AF Newbie

nice pic.... very helpfull...just thought id add this to get this closer to the top where it woulda stopped me from makin a new thread.....i know lots o ppl probably can use that pic...
spazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #36
rayzur9
AF Newbie

1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2.4 L Serpentine belt.
No room between tensioner pulley and firewall to even put the flat bar tool with the short socket extension rented from Autozone in between there to "turn" the tensioner pulley. Thats all B.S. anyways.
Take a bar, any bar, even a broom handle, and push DOWN on the top of the tensioner pulley arm. This will push the arm down, and you WILL have to hold it down, or it will spring back up on ya. You can fully remove the belt at this point. For installation, get your belt all wound around the right pulleys and leave this tensioner and the alternator for last step.
Push again down on the tensioner pulley arm, and slip the belt over the alternator pulley. DONT EVEN READ the CHILTON MANUAL ON THIS, I spent three days trying to do different things to use a socket/wrench/etc. to rotate the pulley, and there just is not a way to do it.
Push down on the pulley arm from the top with a bar or broom handle and you will find it easy to remove/install your serpentine belts.

ALSO, just had my temperature sensor wires come off the bracket clip from the bottom of the overflow tank and the wires fell into the belt and it sanded the wires/plastic covering down to the bare wires. Check this and use a ziptie to restore location.
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #37
Lockdown_2001
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lockdown_2001
Re: No tensioner present...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena
On my 91 Cav 2.2, you put the 15 mm box wrench over the idler pulley bolt and press down on the wrench handle, clockwise (as if you were tightening the bolt). But the idler pulley moves down before the bolt tightens too much. The idler pulley springs back up when you take off the wrench. Don't be scared to press down on the wrench handle to move the pulley. Press down, clockwise, towards the ground. When the pulley is in the down position is when you remove and then install the new belt.
I have an 87 cavalier 2.0 I4 and I'm trying to put the belt on. The tensioner looks like this:

Is the way to relive tension the method mentioned above?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #38
colesb
AF Newbie

Great diagram. I had a 2000 cavalier and this was spot on to change the belt. Now I have an 04 Cavalier and it is completely different. Only 4 pulleys and the belt can't be 14" in diameter. The engine is mounted so close to the side, how do I get in there to access the tensioner? I'm thinking there has to be something easier than dropping the engine! Thanks
colesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #39
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesb
Great diagram. I had a 2000 cavalier and this was spot on to change the belt. Now I have an 04 Cavalier and it is completely different. Only 4 pulleys and the belt can't be 14" in diameter. The engine is mounted so close to the side, how do I get in there to access the tensioner? I'm thinking there has to be something easier than dropping the engine! Thanks

hmm, u gotta remove the pass side wheel, mebbe jack and keep that side up in the air to work underneath as needed....

i remember taking off the plastic wheel wellshield on my sis' 97 model

to have better access to routing the belt. so this part may be optional

then i used this:

free loan tool from autozone to release the tensioner while a buddy removes/ reinstalls serp beltopcorn:
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:36 PM   #40
construct30
AF Newbie

I have a 97 and changed the belt myself. I used an off set box end craftsman wrench and cussed a lot, a helper would have been great. I put the box end wrench on the tensioner and turned clockwise and no big deal, just a tight pain a couple of inches more for a socket would have been nice. The newer cars are easier. Someone should change the title of this thread, because it does not work for a least the 97. Be prepared, you can get a short socket on there, but once the tension is off you can't get the socket back off and you can't get the new belt on with the socket stuck on there in the way. The right tool would help, but it is possible with the off set box end wrench.

mark
construct30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #41
xr0nx
AF Newbie

i know this thread is pretty old but does anyone have 97 cavalier 2.2l belt diagram? because some one reply to this thread that this thread does not applied to 97 cavalier? so i wonder does anyone have the belt diagram for it? i just replace my new alternator and new belt too. autozone gave me the diagram and its does not match.
xr0nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #42
Lockdown_2001
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lockdown_2001

The pulley your looking for is the idler pulley, do any of the diagrams the first person posted look like your setup?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #43
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

You just don't have the tensioner. Your tensioner is the idler pulley. If you don't have A/c let me know and i'll tell you the routing.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:35 AM   #44
xr0nx
AF Newbie

97 CAVALIER 2.2L OHV
My engine belt route set up is little different from the first #1 picture that post up there. The belt route in my car look like the #2 simple belt diagram and I did the #2 set up and its work. Just use the wrench and turn in the way to tighten the 97's "TENSIONER" - actual name "IDLER PULLEY" that would move the belt and give your belt a space to get on the alternator. Picture #2 diagram is successful for 97 cavalier

Picture #1 Cavalier YR 98+ 2200 SFI
Picture #2 MAY APPY TO 97 Cavalier 2.2L OHV/PUSHROD
MY FIRST SET UP BEFORE REMOVING OLD ALTERNATOR.

Last edited by xr0nx; 02-10-2008 at 05:50 PM.
xr0nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #45
abigpapa2cul
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr0nx
97 CAVALIER 2.2L OHV
My engine belt route set up is little different from the first #1 picture that post up there. The belt route in my car look like the #2 simple belt diagram and I did the #2 set up and its work. Just use the wrench and turn in the way to tighten the 97's "TENSIONER" - actual name "IDLER PULLEY" that would move the belt and give your belt a space to get on the alternator. Picture #2 diagram is successful for 97 cavalier

Picture #1 Cavalier YR 98+ 2200 SFI
Picture #2 MAY APPY TO 97 Cavalier 2.2L OHV/PUSHROD
MY FIRST SET UP BEFORE REMOVING OLD ALTERNATOR.
Dude,thank you for your diagram,I tried from 11:00 in the morning till 5:00 in the afternoon to put that belt on. When I saw your diagram, I said to myself,Oh my God. The first one ain't even my motor. My air filter hose comes out of my throttle body and goes straight to my air filter. Hey man thanks again.
abigpapa2cul is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis