Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
ImInUrCar
AF Newbie

Sunfire 97 shifter cable location

Hey, I got a sunfire 97 2.2L Automatic. I basically need to know where the shifter cable goes on what im assuming is the transmission. Had a friend take it out by accident because he was pulling a throttle cable i wanted to replace. This was a year ago, started working on the car this week for the life of me cant figure it out.

Thanks for all the help!
ImInUrCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: Sunfire 97 shifter cable location

Hey, so the engine is on the right & trans on the left (sitting in the vehicle, how we mechanics or parts stores view them). Now I believe the Brake Master Cylinder is right above the transmission and towards the rear where the firewall is.... on top of the trans is a Black Triangular shaped sensor with a connector hooked up to it. On top of the Black Triangular Sensor, there should be a bolt with a nut sticking out of it. The end of the shift cable fits only 1 way onto the bolt and the nut holds it down. I have a pic of the trans... but it's out of the vehicle. The pic should hlep guide you. Then I have closeups of another trans, but similar in appearance. Hopefully your friend didn't lose that nut that holds the cable in place. Be sure to torque it down to the appropriate specifications using a Torque Wrench.

1st image... actual trans... same as yours....
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0xvdzajih...RToR55W5t5T-la

My photo of a similar trans for where the cable actually bolts to...
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1yc9vxfq7...nDorr5cQnS3F-a
ImInUrCar (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
ImInUrCar
AF Newbie

Thanks for the extremely detailed reply. My shifter cable seems a little bit different. It doesnt have a loop on the end of so it cant be bolted down. Now maybe that came off when it was pulled out. I have attached a picture of what the cable i got looks like. When you press the button on the shifter the cable moves and when i change gears the car doesnt really do anything so im pretty sure i got the right cable. Let me know what you think about the cable.

thanks alot

Joshua
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunfire2.jpg (42.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Ok... well, That to me, does not look like any type of shift cable.... it looks more like the Shift Lock cable that unlocks the shifter for you to be able to shift (when brake is applied only).

You are right about your particular setup. Instead of bolted, You have a "ball & socket" fit either end of your shift cable. Black ends, which swivel but are locked on. Think of a shoulder or hip socket. One end goes to the same location I mentioned before, the other end comes in under the dash right by the steering column or center console (depending where your shifter is located)

Back to the part you pictured.... Did your friend removed parts on the inside as well? Is this a center console type shifter?
ImInUrCar (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
ImInUrCar
AF Newbie

That sounds more like it. A shift lock cable makes alot more sense. My friend unhooked the throttle cable from under the hood and then went under the steering wheel and pulled on what he thought was the throttle cable but got something else out which now im not to sure how he was able to just "pull" it out if memory serves right. Car shifted properly before and thats literally the only thing stopping it from running now. Yes i have a center console automatic shifter. So then your saying that the shift lock cable would run to the same location on the transmission as you mentioned before for the shift cable.

Last edited by ImInUrCar; 08-11-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added content
Old 08-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
bellaCuba
AF Regular

haha... gotta love "friends"... and the "favors" they manage to do sometimes. lol

Now you have to figure out where he yanked on. So this should be routed to the center console then. Is the Cover removed? You may have to take a few good pics of a different angles of the shifter base and the sides more towards the front & the driver's side.... at least for me to help you. With so many vehicles out there, they all EACH have their own way of doing things.

The other suggestion, is dependent on how good your salvage yards are. Taking off the center console on one of them and seeing how it's routed.

No, I believe it would be routed to the center console, definitely not thetrans

**95-99 Chevy Cavaliers have the same setup. They are basically twins to the Sunfire** if you go the yard route.

ahh... wait, I keep rereading your last reply. Trying to visualize things. Now you are sure your friend was under the column pulling things out? If he wanted or thought it was the throttle cable, I'd think he'd go by the pedals.... brake pedal has a switch mounted on the firewall (on the inside)above it somewhere... that's a possible direction of look.

It's very difficult to try and figure out, when not there in person, and trying to go off memory & logic

Last edited by bellaCuba; 08-11-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added more
bellaCuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
ImInUrCar
AF Newbie

I got plenty of junk yards with sunfires...haha Yeah let me take a look tonight and maybe go to a junk yard. Ill let ya know what happens and ill hopefully have pics. Again thanks for helping, your awesome!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis