Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Troublechev
AF Newbie

Chev Cavalier Possible Passlock Problem

I have a 2004 Cavalier 2.2L with Standard trans. 2 days ago I couldn't find the key that I normally use on this vehicle so I grabbed the spare key (which is original) and had to unlock the door with the key as the fob battery was dead. This started the alarm going as it usually does when I open the door this way. Normally when I insert the key into the ignition lock and turn it to the run position the alarm shuts off, and I;m able to start and operate the vehicle normally. On this occasion the alarm continued to sound and the engine didn't crank. Then I noticed that none of the instrument cluster lights or gauges were coming on. After a while the alarm shut off. The cluster remained dead.

Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it made no difference. I disconnected the battery for 24 hours without any success. Cluster is dead and no crank.

Checked all fuses, All okay. When I removed the fuse for the cluster and as I just inserted it into the socket, there was a noise from the cluster, and the gauges moved just a little. Then everything was dead again. This happened every time I repeated the process.

I decided to try the 33 minute reset (even though nothing was on (especially the security light). About 3 minutes after the key was turned to the "run" position, there was a clicking sound and the "theft", "brake" and Check Engine lights as well as the odometer flashed randomly for about 30 seconds. This happened a few times during each of the 10 minute periods. However none of the dash lights stayed on. On one occasion, during the clicking and random lighting, I tried cranking the engine. It did crank, but stopped when the clicking/random lighting stopped. At the end of the 30 minutes, nothing was on and the vehicle would not crank.

I then left the key in the run position for 30 minutes. When I got back to the vehicle the check engine light and odometer were on. I cranked the vehicle and it started but stopped immediately. I immediately tried cranking again and it started and stopped immediately again. This time everything went dead.

I'm not sure if this is related to the spare key or if the timing is co-incidental. The normally used key is still nowhere to be found.

I would really appreciate help with this - cannot afford much to repair this vehicle, nor can I afford to get a replacement.
Troublechev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Chev Cavalier Possible Passlock Problem

It sounds like the spare key either has a faulty resistor, or was never programmed for the car. You would need the original key to program it. You may have get a locksmith involved to help get it programmed if other methods don't prove successful.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
Troublechev
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response Stealthee. This is an original key that came with the car and has worked previously. Do you think its possible that something may have gone wrong with it?
Troublechev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Everything I have found online shows you don't have a resistor in your key. You can try the relearn process. Have you check your battery voltage, static and when cranking?
Old 12-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cluster , no-crank , no-start , passlock , security
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis