Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Nikki s
AF Newbie

Re: cavalier hub bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicrocjunkie
Always... I will see your pint of sarcasm, and raise you a pitcher of my own...

Self explanatory.... I've torn these cars down from top to bottom and built em back up over and over again. If you guys feel like taking steps that just create more work or skips crucial steps thats your own doings. You didn't have to use that seal and grease, but if you have your car for another few years expect to be doing this over again.
Hey Classicrocjunkie can you make your photos available again? I need to change the hub/bearing and would like to reference these.

Thanks

Nikki
Nikki s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #17
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

Nope... site that they were hosted on went down a while ago. I never saved a copy of them either.

Its very straight forwards really if you look at it. Same steps as you would to do a front brake job, but once the rotor is off there are 3 torx t-55 or T-50 bolts behind the hub itself. There is a "sweet hole" which the bit will pass through to access the bolts. They are on very very tight and probably are rusted.

Also will probably need a chisel and pry bar for when you have the bolts out because its more than likely rusted to the steering knuckle.

Also the CV shaft nut is a 30mm deep well on with 180ft of torque.

thats about all you really need to know.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #18
JPacey
AF Newbie

Too bad about those pictures- I used them too and they were excellent.
JPacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #19
MJGinOR
AF Newbie

Loved the info on this thread!!!

I found all but pics/steps 15, 19, 24 on the way back machine at archive (dot) org...

If anyone wants them, PM me and I can email them, or a PDF of them, after I make it.

Perhaps the author could fill me in on the steps lost (as well as can be 9 years after original creation) and I can post it to this thread again with written instructions for missing steps (or can take photos with my GF's sunfire, and add appropriate instructions) I would be inclined to assemble them into a PDF and post it all as one file for easier use.

Thanks to everyone who posted useful info to this thread that is helping me get the new wheel bearing on WITH the proper seal.

My bearing & seal kit comes with an o-ring as well? It's the right diameter to slide over the outer diameter of the seal and hold it out a little bit? Not sure if it is needed or that it goes there... Will have to do some googling if no one answers here.

On GF's sunfire, the mating surface on the CV shaft outer bell with the inner diameter of the seal was rusted all to heck, so I would advise anyone going to the trouble of adding the seal that Pontiac or a subsequent sercvicer left out to take the time sand smooth the surface of the circumference of the bell where the seal will mate , and grease it before installation, to maximize the life and performance of the seal, and thus the bearing.

Good luck with all your repairs!!!

Matt in Oregon.

Last edited by MJGinOR; 09-28-2016 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Correcting typo's
MJGinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis