Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
mysterious_2
AF Newbie

03 lx convertable

ok im only 16 (young buk) and i have an automatic 2003 mustang lx convertable. its pretty nice, an i love drivin round wit the top down. the car only haz bout 22 thousand on it iz in great shape, but i wanna upgrade it. wat are some thingz i could do to it to make it better. also do u think u could put the prices too. bout how much would a new air intake cost. also i would like to get a new exhaust. wat would be the best choice?? thx for yallz help
mysterious_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:22 PM   #2
DiggerStang
AF Regular

Re: 03 lx convertable

Damn! When I was 16 I had a bike. A used bike! Loved to cruise around with the top down...had no choice!
DiggerStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
mysterious_2
AF Newbie

haha my bad. i forgot to mention that i share the car with my parentz, but they agreed to pay for a few upgrades to the car. my dad mus be goin thru a mid life crisis or watever so he wants a nice car. help me out here... im lookin to increase hp
Old 12-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #4
BigDanTheMan
I read and am helpful.

Send a message via AIM to BigDanTheMan
when you say 03 lx, what do you mean exactly?
BigDanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:51 PM   #5
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper
well im lost too bout the LX part. Um either way exhaust intake gears great start for you.
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #6
Mendari
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_2
ok im only 16 (young buk) and i have an automatic 2003 mustang lx convertable. its pretty nice, an i love drivin round wit the top down. the car only haz bout 22 thousand on it iz in great shape, but i wanna upgrade it. wat are some thingz i could do to it to make it better. also do u think u could put the prices too. bout how much would a new air intake cost. also i would like to get a new exhaust. wat would be the best choice?? thx for yallz help
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 2003 LX. How many cylinders does it have? Also, is the transmission manual or automatic?
Mendari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #7
Joshta
AF Enthusiast

I bet ya'll pro posters curse at the increase threads on this same question. Just kidding, but still. LX is an old term and went out before the 5.0's did. We say base model, 3.8L, or v6 round here. For an air intake like MAC or BBK, it's gonna be around $170. You can get a cheap, offbrand, $65 one on ebay if you'd like. I guess they are good for nearly as much HP. If you ask around, most will agree that new gears should be on your list. For autos, 4.10s are a popular choice, but I'd still go with 3.73s for practical and economical reasons. As for duals, Flowmaster 40 series are very popular with mustangs, even v6's, and rightfully so. Every one has there own oppinion about mufflers, but you're not gonna go wrong with flows. Search some threads for more info and advice. And by the way, just out of curiosity, what color is your car?
Joshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #8
mysterious_2
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshta
I bet ya'll pro posters curse at the increase threads on this same question. Just kidding, but still. LX is an old term and went out before the 5.0's did. We say base model, 3.8L, or v6 round here. For an air intake like MAC or BBK, it's gonna be around $170. You can get a cheap, offbrand, $65 one on ebay if you'd like. I guess they are good for nearly as much HP. If you ask around, most will agree that new gears should be on your list. For autos, 4.10s are a popular choice, but I'd still go with 3.73s for practical and economical reasons. As for duals, Flowmaster 40 series are very popular with mustangs, even v6's, and rightfully so. Every one has there own oppinion about mufflers, but you're not gonna go wrong with flows. Search some threads for more info and advice. And by the way, just out of curiosity, what color is your car?
thanks for ur help. i love this site an yall helpin a brotha out a lot o and reply to ur question joshta, my car iz red. like bright, fire engine red (dad chose it). i live near a family who work on cars 24/7 and im pretty sure they would help me out with my car if i ever needed some. for these upgrades, would i need to seek professional help, or would they be able to do it?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:16 PM   #9
BigDanTheMan
I read and am helpful.

Send a message via AIM to BigDanTheMan
if you are anything like me you can stumble though any project.
BigDanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:35 PM   #10
Joshta
AF Enthusiast

Sports car, convertable, bright red, 16 year old = high insurance. lol Sorda my position. I'm same age with a 99' v6, hard top in rio red(deeper color). Anyway, the cold air intake even I could install, so you and your family will do it quick. The exhaust is probably best left for a mechanic unless ofcourse your dad or someone has a welder and pipe bender, then you might could do it yourself if you had a lift. Gears most always are recommended to be left with professionals. But if there was a way I could do it myself, I would, cause the installation charge is a "beep". I forgot to mention that if you are going to change your gears you really need a positive traction unit(posi-trac or trac-lok). That way both wheels will catch for better acceleration and eliminate the dreaded lone ranger mark. For gears and posi-trac you can put 7.5" or 8.8" but one or the other. V6's are 7.5's and GT's and up are 8.8's. You can put 8.8's in your car, but they are generally more expensive and hold up under high horsepower. 7.5's are usually fine for around 300 Hp and less. Occasionally, you will hear of 7.5 gears holding up under extreme pressure, like for instance Hi Flow's heavily modded 89' GT. Unless you are getting a super or turbocharger get the 7.5's. Good luck and if you have any Q's let me know.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 AM   #11
HiFlow5 0
Stanger

Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0

Quote:
Occasionally, you will hear of 7.5 gears holding up under extreme pressure, like for instance Hi Flow's heavily modded 89' GT.
Wait? I didn't realize my GT had a 7.5" rear?

Anyway, gear swaps are better off left to a pro who has experence in this area. Other things like exhaust, pulleys, CAI can be done in the comfort of your own home with the right tools and know how.

HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 AM   #12
Los
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Los Send a message via MSN to Los

wtf is an LX?
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #13
JohnnyWash1
AF Regular

Geez guys, the LX is the base model Mustang. The term was dropped a couple years ago in favor of simply calling it a "base" Mustang. Anyway, do not attempt a gear swap, exhaust swaps can be easy, however, if they bolt in. Work on exhaust and gears first, and if that isn't enough, you may want to work on the transmission. The intake won't give you much of anything, sound or power, so I wouldn't waste the money.

Jon
1990 Integra RS 16.6@85mph Intake
JohnnyWash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:43 PM   #14
Joshta
AF Enthusiast

Oh, sorry Hi Flow, for some reason I had it stuck in my head that you did. Something from an earlier post. Oh well.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #15
mysterious_2
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1
Geez guys, the LX is the base model Mustang. The term was dropped a couple years ago in favor of simply calling it a "base" Mustang. Anyway, do not attempt a gear swap, exhaust swaps can be easy, however, if they bolt in. Work on exhaust and gears first, and if that isn't enough, you may want to work on the transmission. The intake won't give you much of anything, sound or power, so I wouldn't waste the money.

yeah i get pretty decent grades (4.1 gpa) so im sure it helps my insurance a lil. ive herd rumors that red raises the insurance, but when i asked pops he tole me that it had nuthin to do with it. anywayz wat would be the best overall gear swap? does anyone kno bout how long would this take? im jus tryin to make myself a nice respectable ride. i wanna reiterate that i am grateful for all of ur help

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk