Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
633CSi
AF Newbie

Window Regulator Rebuild

Yes your power window regulators CAN be rebuilt. Assuming the electric motor isn't burnt out the rest of the assembly is easily rebuilt and usually the cause of the problem in the first place. Once removed from the door, separate the motor from the rest of the assembly. Drill out the rivets holding the two halves of the gear case together. You'll find that the lubricant that was used by the factory becomes hard and moisture has siezed everything together. Use a product such as Liquid Wrench to free everything up, you might also need a good set of pliers. Be carefull not to break any of the parts as they are just made of nylon or plastic. Once everything is free disassemble it and clean everything thoroughly with carb cleaner. Next, reassemble the gutts and spray liberally with chain lube. This is used for motorcycle, bike and chainsaw chains and is in a spray can but comes out the cosistancy of honey so it will stay on the parts and is formulated not to attract moisture. This is a case where more is better so don't be shy. Make sure everything is moving freely. Place the two halves of the case together and use self tapping metal screws where the rivets were. Reinstall the motor to the gear case, then back into the door. This saved me $500 in parts alone on my first 6 and at $120/hr for labour at the dealership, well you get my point. I hope this helps someone.
633CSi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series