Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 07:20 PM   #31
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj
Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

do you guys want alot of cross over parts???

CA18DET!!!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:11 PM   #32
lone_night_fox
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to lone_night_fox

is the CA18DET the NA model, and the SR20DET the Turbo? or what? I read Initial D, and watch the Anime, the S13 in the series has a CA18 and the Sileighty in the series has a SR20... if the 180sx and silvia are pretty much the same car what is with the engine differences?

Sold:
Mazda RX-7 TURBO II (blown apex seal) aka: Sara
HKS F-CON, Defi Boost gauge, Greddy Ext. Temp Gauge, Greddy Blow off Valve Greddy S-type, full 2.5" exhaust system with Greddy Muffler, OBX Highflow resinator

Sold:
92Mazda MX-3 GS, Tropical Green Metallic
lone_night_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:16 PM   #33
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_night_fox
is the CA18DET the NA model, and the SR20DET the Turbo? or what? I read Initial D, and watch the Anime, the S13 in the series has a CA18 and the Sileighty in the series has a SR20... if the 180sx and silvia are pretty much the same car what is with the engine differences?
yes you are right, the CA18DET is the NA model of the S chassis cars, and the SR20DET is the turbo model...180sx never came turboed, they all had the NA sr20's which were also known as the CA18DET's

i have just learned what initial D is last week when i went to the arcade and saw the game so i dont really know much about that.(im serious)_
Old 04-11-2004, 10:55 PM   #34
gc8936
AF Newbie

hey, I have a 92 ka turbo charged with stock internals 300whp with the jim wolf tech ecu ect. It's still running.
gc8936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:31 AM   #35
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc8936
hey, I have a 92 ka turbo charged with stock internals 300whp with the jim wolf tech ecu ect. It's still running.
running is only a small part of the picture. Mileage since adding the turbo is the real one.

Congrats on the build up, don't like anyone tell you 300HP is crap. Most that will say that are
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #36
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
see I don't really believe all the high mileage shit either. If you take care of a car and have everything working like it should theres really no reason why it shouldn't be able to make 200-300rwhp everyday for a long time. I think the KA is stronger then the SR now. The construction is heavier duty and the block is made of iron. As long as fuel/spark/computer/appropriate boost level is all in check it should run perfectly fine.

Stealthj....

you need to find a company that wants to sell some CA18's and ask them to be the head salesman hehe....

Stealth you should add some stuff on this thread about the CA and its reliability, parts interchangeability etc. it would be good info for this thread.
SR20DETpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #37
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
see I don't really believe all the high mileage shit either. If you take care of a car and have everything working like it should theres really no reason why it shouldn't be able to make 200-300rwhp everyday for a long time. I think the KA is stronger then the SR now. The construction is heavier duty and the block is made of iron. As long as fuel/spark/computer/appropriate boost level is all in check it should run perfectly fine.
Well that was my point....I have heard of probably 100+ people making 'turbo' engines between the different car boards. I have found 2 years with a 'turbo' is 1.9 years of it sitting in a garage somewhere and two runs around the block.

If you build up a 200-300hp KA and tune it properly you should get to see 85-90% of the normal longevity out of it. Going higher causes a faster decrease on longevity though.

The thing most that are successful in their turbo builds come to boards only for the advice and never return other that for post build problems. However there are many that should never have attempted a build up and they are the ones that make it sound big of problems and unreliable.

So:

saying I have a KAT running just fine tells me nothing.

saying I have a KAT at 10psi making 200-300HP tells me more

saying I have a KAT at 10psi making 200-300HP that I have put 20,000 miles on and over 50 1/4 mile runs only having to change the oil and play with the fuel maps a couple times tells me a lot.

I am also not saying that a KAT cannot be every bit as reliable or more than a stock SR20DET....I am also not saying that a stock SR20DET can't be improved. I will say with either you are bound to be able to find a power level you can be happy with.

Å
Old 04-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #38
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AWDSR20 Send a message via MSN to AWDSR20

CA18det not turbo?? huh??
The way I read Nissan motors is this way

CA18det

The CA stands for the motor mane the number that follows it (18) is the engine displacement (1800 cc), the (d) stands for dual overhead cam, (e) for electronic fuel injection and finally the (t) for turbo????

KA24e (not d, this is the single cam version on the KA)

KA name
24 (2400cc)
e electronic injection

VQ30DE, RB26det…..etc

Correct me if wrong, but that’s how I was informed at the Nissan dealership?

E.K.
AWDSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:08 PM   #39
SR20DETpower
Banned

he was just joking with the nooB about him saying he learned about engines from IntialD lmao
Old 04-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #40
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
he was just joking with the nooB about him saying he learned about engines from IntialD lmao
The joke isn't so obvious...I was wondering how a 1000+ poster could think the 180sx never had turbo .

For the record the CA18DET is a turboed 1.8 liter. I think all 180sx always had either the CA18DET or SR20DET, yet silvias could be had with CA18DE and SR20DE.

I am still learning though....

Å
Old 04-12-2004, 07:27 PM   #41
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst
The joke isn't so obvious...I was wondering how a 1000+ poster could think the 180sx never had turbo .

For the record the CA18DET is a turboed 1.8 liter. I think all 180sx always had either the CA18DET or SR20DET, yet silvias could be had with CA18DE and SR20DE.

I am still learning though....

Å
actually 180sx's also came with the SR20DE's, i believe its the type S?im not so sure on that

and yes, i shall be head salesman!!

and if you guys really want i can get a list of crossover parts
Old 04-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #42
Neil_se
AF Newbie

Just to clear the engines up, 89 (88 for silvia) to mid 91 was ca18det (also ca18de for silvia). 91 to 97? was sr20det (also sr20de for silvia to 94 and post 96 180sx type s).

I can't comment on the KA-T reliability, we never got them thank god. The sr20det is a very reliable engine and can withstand a lot of punishment. I rarely hear of anyone having anything go wrong even on fairly worked engines. One mate has a sr20det silvia making 290odd rwkw (400rwhp) @20psi on completely stock internals (including stock headgasket, pistons, cams) and pump fuel. A mob in South Australia pulled just over 500rwhp on completely stock internals a couple of weeks ago, though that was with some toluene (and lots of boost).

Black rb20det 180sx|HKS gt2530|Greddy fmic|Apexi N1 Exhaust|K&N pod|Apexi BOV|GTR fuel pump|SAFC|HKS FCD|Volk GTU rims
Neil_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:11 AM   #43
zdude
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to zdude

the ka motors i dont think ever came factory turbo. so you wouldve never gotten them anyway, no one did. you have to add the turbo yourself. i dont know much about this topic, but what ive gotten so far is that if you want a turbo, beef up the ka. if you want a known reliable engine with a turbo already, go with the sr. the ka should be reliable if you make it reliable, do regular maintenence, make sure to build up the internals, etc.

just thought id summarize it

92 Paseo (Died)
90 Corolla (Died)
89 240sx (sold then died)
85 735i (Died)
95 Corolla (Damn Deer)
94 Renault Espace (gave away lol)

94 BMW 316i
97 BMW 528i
97 Blazer

trackrunner2004@gmail.com
zdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:00 AM   #44
gc8936
AF Newbie

sr, is great but, it going to cause money to get it too run 300-400hp without upgrades $1500. You will be paying the same amout building up a kaT.
gc8936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #45
SR20DETpower
Banned

I think the KA is constructed better then the SR. Also when you are going for extreme power levels the KA will prevail with its iron block. Iron is stronger then aluminum, this is a known fact.

its different for someone in Australia or Japan to comment on the SR20det reliability because those engines were sold there. You cannot say nothing goes wrong with them because I have heard of MANY sr's blowing out the block. When you fuck up the block its time for a completely new engine. No parts dealers in america stock sr20det parts, most have never even heard of it...it was never ever sold here in one single car. There are more parts in America for a pinto then a sr20det.

I have also heard horror stories about SR swaps in America. Normal car systems do not work as well or at all, such as power steering, air conditioner(thats a biggie when u live in south florida), wiring rats nest of amatuer done harness jobs.... It is not really a bolt in process, yes the engine came in that car but the sr20 equipped S chassis do have differences, one being the systems of the car are built, designed, and laid out for a RHD car.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX