Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
alexandicity
AF Newbie

Question First, short-term practise vehicle

Hello everyone!

I just arrived in the US to study and will be here in Indiana for about a year. Since it's much cheaper to, I decided to learn to drive and am halfway though a course. If all goes well, I'll be licensed within 2 weeks. I'm 25 so I'll receive a full license immediately (no mandatory practice period - somewhat alarmingly!)

Once done, in order to build vital experience, I'm wondering if I want a car or not. I don't plan to drive frequently, just occasional practice runs, the occasional shopping run - I imagine less than an hour a week. I may however, want to do a road trip around the US - 10k miles - right at the end of my stay.

Although so far the lessons are smooth and scores good, I have to acknowledge my inexperience. As such, I'll not want to run an capitally expensive car and will need to take good liability insurance. I'd also like a vehicle that's easier to handle.

There are two options, as I see it:
  • Purchase a cheap (under $1000 ideally) used vehicle. I don't care for looks not style, so my options are wide. I see some options in this range, 10yr and/or 80k miles chunkers. I'm not sure how to determine how easy they are to drive, but I've assumed that smaller = better handling. I might try and sell it at the end, but I can't imagine recouping more than $500, even if I only add a small fraction of the overall mileage.
  • Go rental. Using either the rental insurance or taking my own third-party insurance, I'd rent a car for the periods I'd want to practice/go anywhere. The companies don't seem to worry about my inexperience;they only factor age. Pros are no maintenance costs and the option to drive a wider range of vehicles (good for experience, I'm sure). The big Con is a lot more expensive if I want to do that 2+ month road trip, but if I don't do this, it's a fair bit cheaper (I think).
Any thoughts on these options?
alexandicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
syrne
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to syrne
Re: First, short-term practise vehicle

Sometimes you can find cars for around 500-1000 that run just fine but look terrible. The problem with going with a really cheap buy is if you do take a long road trip something is very likely to happen and then you could be stranded in the middle of nowhere. Renting to drive that many miles is going to run you quite a bit of money but will be a lot safer.

Maybe you could think about doing both, buy a very cheap perhaps even late '80s 500 dollar beater car to use for the year and then rent for the road trip. Truly your best option would be to find someone to take the trip with you, if you are studying there I am sure you can find someone at your university that wants to road trip as well, they may even have their own car.
syrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
akboss1
AF Newbie

Buy an old Buick LeSabre - cheap, reliable, easy to drive and would be the ultimate road-trim mobile. Then you can sell it when you're done!
akboss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
alexandicity
AF Newbie

Cheers syrne, good points. Strangely, I was thinking of doing it the other way around - rent now, buy for the road trip! Maybe I can find a friend to go with but I'm in unusual circumstances so it may be tricky time- and interest-wise. But you reckon there's a real hazard in cars breaking down a long way from home?

I'm also thinking that jumping in for a $1000 cluncker may not be the best idea. With comprehensive insurance, a $5000 second-hand jobbie which I sell for $4000 after a year (and no crashes ) would cost about the same but would be more reliable, more comfortable and would give me more choice - for instance, I could get the Buick AKBoss suggests. Thoughts on that? I understand that depreciation doesn't hit used cars too much over short periods?
alexandicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Jamesfranklin
Banned

There are various reliable companies which provide a wide range of reliable vehicles for their customers in easy range .These companies are Nissan and ford. I personally use these vehicles as they are best in their approach for which it designed.
Jamesfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A