Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
tivol
AF Newbie

Question Mazda3 or Hyundai Elantra GT?

Please help! I am struggling with this decision: do I buy a Mazda3 hatchback (automatic) with the ABS/side curtain airbag option, or an Elantra GT hatchback (5-speed) with the ABS/traction control/moonroof option? Price is important, but so is longevity, safety, and reliability--we plan to keep this car for a good long while.

Mazda comes out to be a couple thousand more than the Elantra, and their incentives right now are pathetic. The Mazda's engine is definitely more powerful, even in automatic. It's definitely a well-made car that has lots of pep. I just can't decide if I like the way the car looks.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the Elantra, which handles well (better with the 5 speed than the automatic--I drove both) and seems to be good value for money. But will it hold up over time? As well as the Mazda?

Any input would be MUCH appreciated.
tivol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
bmwm3guy
Banned

Send a message via MSN to bmwm3guy
Re: Mazda3 or Hyundai Elantra GT?

no crap the 5spd is better, I would take a 5spd Geo Metro over an Automatic Mazda3.
bmwm3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
ledfut
AF Newbie

Having driven them both......

That's a tough one. The Mazda 3 is an entirely new platform and with it come the usual bugs to sort out. The hyundai Elantra GT 5-door has been around several years and the engine/powertrain many years before that. That's a good indication that the factory knows how to make them and make them right. My wife owns an '03 Hyundai Sonata which we have had for 6 months and it is, thus far, perfection.

The Hyundai GT comes standard with side-impact airbags, heated mirrors, full leather upholstery, 15" wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes, Kenwood Stereo, and a cavernous hatchback.

The Mazda 3 has an edgier, more sporting look, a tilt-telescoping steering column, 17" wheels, more low-end punch, and a more contemporary interior design.

The clincher? Hyundai offers a $2,000 rebate on the Elantra (soon to expire but there'll be others) and that awesome 10 year-100,000 powertrain warranty. Also, Check out J.D. Powers and see that Hyundai has soared clear up to third place for initial new car satisfaction showing the least number of complaints concerning the quality of the car itself.

I'm probably going to buy myself an Elantra to go along with the Sonata (the 5-door GT of course!)

Hope this helps just a bit and best wishes on your choice.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A