Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Machining Discussion-Lathes, Mills, CNC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmech
lucky bastard, well i hope to have one by the end of the summer. Looking at the Sureline Computer Controlled unit. I may have some questions when i get it
Sherline makes a good lathe, super precise. I have one. A CNC lathe is a little ridiculous though. Turning on the lathe is a lot of fun, and is easy with practice, milling is a lot more difficult. A CNC mill would be a little more worth the CNC trouble. With a CNC mill, you also need to be able to design parts, and write the code for it, usually involving CAD and CAM software.

EDIT: Thread split from: Finally I own a lathe-by gionc. This thread will cover all aspects of machining for models, and any questions you have. We will discuss potential buys, reviews, how to's, and just basics of the lathe, mill and CNC.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery

Last edited by mike@af; 02-15-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
Re: Finally I own a lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
Sherline makes a good lathe, super precise. I have one. A CNC lathe is a little ridiculous though. Turning on the lathe is a lot of fun, and is easy with practice, milling is a lot more difficult. A CNC mill would be a little more worth the CNC trouble. With a CNC mill, you also need to be able to design parts, and write the code for it, usually involving CAD and CAM software.
Mike: I have a mill mach. but I'm not able to work on it .But 4 years ago I owned a CNC system with a big mill: much more easyer than my modelling mill. Only to know something abt speeds and materials (well I used almost resin) and simply design a 3D, nurbs or faceted, convert in polygons, and the system by itself created the working path. Nothing hard. I done a lot of body shells for fun. Well it wasn't an hobby stuff, it costed a lot. I used those to protityping some my designs. Now I still using outsurce services: better design than mill to me. And it's faster synterization than milling just now.

And Chad: if you purchase a full 4 axes mill you'll have also a lathe
Old 02-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakmech

Well i was just looking at the prices and to add CNC capabilities to the Sherline mill/ and lathe is only like $800 more. I shouldnt say only but i would like to get into mass production for modelling and other things. I am learning CAD and Sarah is a pro...architect. I did not mean to imply that a mill was the same as a lathe but Sureline sells them as a package. Maybe i should start with a lathe but the package adds good value to the price. Mike how has your new toy been serving you?

Last edited by freakmech; 02-15-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

This is what i was thinking about getting...

http://www.sherline.com/CNCmenu.htm

Old 02-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Well i was just looking at the prices and to add CNC capabilities to the Sherline mill/ and lathe is only like $800 more. I shouldnt say only but i would like to get into mass production for modelling and other things. I am learning CAD and Sarah is a pro...architect. I did not mean to imply that a mill was the same as a lathe but Sureline sells them as a package. Maybe i should start with a lathe but the package adds good value to the price. Mike how has your new toy been serving you?
Not to hi jack Giovanni's thread, but this could be an informative thread about machining since questions are being thrown around. Im not sure what the complete package is for the Sherline CNC mill. I'll assume it wont come with software, or a controller. That will be another $2000. I use a Fanuc controller, with a Sherline mill. Software used is AutoCAD 2004-2006, and MasterCAM, and notepad. I havent really researched the CNC ready mills from Sherline, but I like the one I use which is a Sherline mill outrigged with CNC stuff by Denford.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Well actually it does come with a computer with software installed, running g-code on Linux. I have Autodesk and CAD for any other design needs. Not sure what you mean by a controller? Mike, answers?

Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Well actually it does come with a computer with software installed, running g-code on Linux. I have Autodesk and CAD for any other design needs. Not sure what you mean by a controller? Mike, answers?
The controller is what translates your G-Code to the machine for it to understand. It controls all the operations for where the machine goes, hence the name controller.

G-coding is merely cartesian coordinates, with special function codes [prepatory functionasl (g-codes) and miscellaneous functions (m-codes)]. Linux may be Sherline's form of a controller. Im curious as to what software the use to handle, i.e. controller software, if its a basic editor or advanced editor.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: Machining Discussion-Lathes, Mills, CNC.

I believe Sherline throws in a copy of Vector-CAD with their machines, which is supposedly suitable for CNC.

freakmech- If you're planning to go to either the East or Mid Atlantic NNL, I'd be happy to talk Sherline tools with you.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Best thing about my lathe and mill is that it allows me to finish projects.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
redstang423
AF Regular

With the CNC machine I use, I develop the code (although no actual writing of code is needed) with a program called Gibbs-CAM. It's a fantastically easy program to use, however I think a license is rather expensive. I'm not too familiar with many other CNC control packages, so I don't what the comparitive features are, but this is one of the top packages on the market. The nice thing about the program is it can import the part to be machined from nearly any design package - AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, you name it. Plus, it creates a video to show you the exact process you told the machine to do, so you can figure out if you accidentally tried to put the machine through a solid piece of metal. Nice way to prevent yourself from making a very costly error.

In Progess: Corvette C5R (95%), 1995 Corvette ZR-1 (97%), 1968 Shelby GT500 (15%), Porsche 911 Slantnose (99%), Nissan 350Z track (80%)

To Be Started: Ferrari F50, Porsche 911 GT3, Mitsubishi GT0/3000GT

Recently Finished: 1999 Ford SVT Lightning

liveSTRONG
Old 02-16-2006, 12:22 AM   #11
bvia
AF Enthusiast

I've got an old Craftsman brass-bed lathe (Actual made by Sherline) and a brand new 5400 Mill. CNC for Sherline is pretty easy to do and a Yahoo group has been around for some time catering to just that (as well as a non-CNC Sherline group). I'm a total novice to machining and love making chips, swarf and trying to make stuff.

When I said I'd never use trig in the real world, boy was _I_ wrong!!!LOL

Bill
Old 02-16-2006, 03:01 AM   #12
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

I thought threads were supposed to be in English? I can't undestand a word you guys are talking about!

PS I'm just jealous

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
Old 02-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
p9o1r1sche

Geez... whatever happened to turning the knobs by hand and doing the thinking in your head???? All I have is an inexpensive chinese-made lathe and mill.

I guess that type of machining is becoming a lost art.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #14
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9o1r1sche
Geez... whatever happened to turning the knobs by hand and doing the thinking in your head???? All I have is an inexpensive chinese-made lathe and mill.

I guess that type of machining is becoming a lost art.
I still turn manually on my lathe. I do a lot of stuff manually on the mill too. However, sometimes its just better to press go and be able to walk away and work on another part.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
p9o1r1sche

Maybe its just me, but the tone of this thread made it sound like one needs CNC controls. Well, however its made, the quality will show in the final product.
Mike, you do some great scratchbuilding - more than I'm motivated to do. From that perspective, the CNC probably does help alot. Keep going on your project!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools