Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #16
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: The making of an FAQ section....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemechanic
Another question I have as I've yet to figure this out.

What exactly are the axis names? I've read a lot of tutorials for things and they'll say something about the x or y axis but I can't seem to figure out which axis is which. Is there a set rule for this?

Mike
Good question.

On the mill the axes are as follows:
X - Left/Right
Y - Forwards/Backwards
Z - Up/Down

On the lathe, the axes are as follows:
X - Tool in and out towards the rotating center
Y - Non Existant
Z - Length of to the bed.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #17
cyberkid
AF Enthusiast

After browsing the web I have a few more questions,
What type of setup should a newbie start out with?
CNC or manual? I saw that the manual Sherline equipment is CNC capable, so should I hold out on the CNC until I'm familiar with manual? or should I start right off with CNC?
Lathe with milling column or a lathe and a mill separate?
What materials are easier to work with? (Price/ hardness) I'm seeing that aluminum is often used, are there specific reasons for that?
Are Sherline lathes capable of threading? If I'm not mistaken, I saw that the CNC system can't do threads.
NEW TO THE AF MODELLING FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST
AF Car Modeling Tutorial, How-To and Product Review Depository
AF Car Modeling Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ] - * Look here first! * ver2.0
And finally,I wish you all happy modeling
cyberkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #18
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkid
After browsing the web I have a few more questions,
What type of setup should a newbie start out with?
CNC or manual? I saw that the manual Sherline equipment is CNC capable, so should I hold out on the CNC until I'm familiar with manual? or should I start right off with CNC?
Lathe with milling column or a lathe and a mill separate?
What materials are easier to work with? (Price/ hardness) I'm seeing that aluminum is often used, are there specific reasons for that?
Are Sherline lathes capable of threading? If I'm not mistaken, I saw that the CNC system can't do threads.
I think the question about aluminum is addressed in the FAQ. The threadcutting setup for Sherline lathes is unmotorized and requires CNC drives to be unmounted. I don't know how much of a PITA that might be, as I haven't used either Sherline's threadcutter or CNC.

As for the others, they're good questions, but not the sort that lend themselves to an FAQ. "What gear should I buy?" depends entirely on you, and what kinds of projects you expect you'll want to use your equipment for.

Only you can decide if a lathe and milling column is large enough for your intended plans. If all you're likely to do is make parts in 1/24, you'll probably never outgrow this setup. If you want to scratchbuild your own R/C airplane engines, getting a separate mill may be more practical (but maybe not necessary). If you want to resurface the brake rotors on your full size car, you'll probably want something larger than Sherline offers.

Only you can decide if CNC is something you must have, if it's something you imagine you might someday like to work up to, or if you're unlikely to bother with it. (Personally, I doubt I'll ever bother- but I could easily upgrade if I decided otherwise). CNC machines are capable of many magnificent things, but operating them is entirely different than using 'manual' machines. If the idea of programing a part is more exciting than turning handwheels yourself, CNC may be for you. On the other hand, CNC requires basic machining skills and knowledge, and the very best way to get that is using 'manual' machines.

"How did you select your equipment?" would probably be a good topic for a thread- a discussion of what people bought and why could be useful for those considering buying machines.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools