Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
trox
AF Regular

2000 2.2 ltr A/T 3-4 solenoid goes out??

I found another S10 that needed a motor. It was in way better shape than my last S10 that just happened to trash the auto trans. Anyway, the guy I got this truck from said he had the trans rebuilt recently which is mostly why I bought it. Soon after the rebuild, (500 miles) he said the 3-4 shift solenoid was diagnosed as bad. When I told him the trans started out great for about the first 50 miles after the engine swap, it started going in and out of converter lockup that soon turned into up to 3rd gear only. He said it sounds like the same thing again. I pulled the pan to find clean fluid and a new filter, nothing obvious. I took the solenoids, both because I wasn’t sure which was the 3-4, from my old trans because when it did work, it shifted well through all gears and lockup. I put the solenoids in the new truck and now it shifts fine all the way up through lockup. I checked all the solenoids with 12 volts and got the ‘click’ from each one. I was thinking maybe the 3-4 was fried but ohms values were all the same for each of the 4 I had to look at. I checked for continuity at the 2 pin harness connectors for both solenoids and both rang through to the trans case with the same values. I did comparison testing because I don’t know what the values should be. Now the truck is shifting great and all is good but am I going to lose it again? Is there something taking out my 3-4 shift solenoid that I can track down. I was thinking a bad ground. Where does the A/T get its ground from that I can check? When I did the engine change I put the ground strap and smaller ground wires back under the trans mount bolt. Also, is the 3-4 solenoid the one that gets pushed out by the spring loaded servo when you pull the retaining clip? It was the newer solenoid of the two.
trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
trox
AF Regular

Re: 2000 2.2 ltr A/T 3-4 solenoid goes out??

OK, more to my story. I called the guy I got the truck from and he found the reciept for the solenoid replacement. It was done back in Nov 2012 at 156k miles and it is now April 2013 165K miles. The shop replaced the 3-2 downshift solenoid which is on the other side of the valve body to what I replaced. For whatever reason, the pair of solenoids I replaced that sit next to each other and I believe to be the 1-2 and 3-4 or... A and B solenoids has got me working again. Like I said, they all Ohmed ot the same and I have since seen that the resistance value for each circuit from the big connector thru the solenoid and back should 20-30 Ohms. That is what I got for the old and repacement solenoids so I don't think any were fried. I guess now I can just figure it didn't repeat its fault from before and see how it goes. I would like to get a good scanner on it to watch whats happening.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
trox
AF Regular

Well after staying close to home for about 75 miles I thought I would drive it to work. It looked good at first. It went up through every gear nice and then into lockup with no problem. Then after about 5 miles it jumped down to forth for few seconds and back up to lockup for while with no good reason. Then it started doing it more often untill it was in and out every 5-10 seconds. I stopped to turn around and go home and dropped the shifter out of Odrive. It shifeted up to forth fine so I took it home like that and left it for another car. I still have the other 2000 S10 in the drive so I'm thinkin of swapping out the computer to see what that does.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
trox
AF Regular

I took the computer from the my other 2000 S10 with the same part number and it wouldn't even start this truck. The fuel pump runs, it kinda acted like it was about to fire but wouldn't start. I put the original back in and it fired right up. Tried the other again and it wouldn't. Don't look like I'll be trying another computer after all. Going to the transmission place in town to have it scanned. These were the guys that replaced the 3-2 downshift solenoid back in November so they should have some interest in seeing it fixed for good this time. Will post back with findings.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
trox
AF Regular

I'm Replying back to this thread now after starting a new one and finding the culprit over a year later. The problem was intermitant and went several months without showing up. Here's what I found on 8/27/2014
I found my problem. Well I paid an electrical guy to find it. I had ohmed out the wire harness from the big connector on the trans to the PCM specifically looking for an issue related to code P1814. The blue wire was hanging by 1 strand which gave me continuity but it wasn't enough to carry the load of the 3-4 solenoid. The electrical guy pulled on all the wires at this plug and it pulled right out showing all nut one strand of about 8 broken off. I bought a new connector with 20 inches of wire to splice onto my old harness and the trans has never shifted better. I hope this helps others to realize that wires will ring continuity on 1 strand but won't carry the load.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10