Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
karen_mitchell2
AF Newbie

Question Tranny linkage?

Ok, my nephew went to put his van in gear, and got it in neutral when he heard something snap. Now the shifter flops between park and neutral but won't go in gear and it is stuck in neutral. What is this? Is it hard to fix or is it something that we can do ourselves?
karen_mitchell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
trannyman52
AF Regular

Re: Tranny linkage?

The shift cable///rod ,,connector on the side of the transmission is usually made of plastic,,,,over time,,,the connector wears from dirt ect,,ect and can pop off the transmission....could be as simple as crawling under van and re-connecting linkage to transmission.......
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trannyman52 For This Useful Post:
karen_mitchell2 (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
karen_mitchell2
AF Newbie

Ok, we got under the van, and there are not disconnected cables I'm trying to get the dash off around the column but I don't have the right tools, It takes a hex screwdriver. I know I have one somewhere but after the move I can't seem to find all my stuff.
karen_mitchell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
trannyman52
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_mitchell2 View Post
Ok, we got under the van, and there are not disconnected cables I'm trying to get the dash off around the column but I don't have the right tools, It takes a hex screwdriver. I know I have one somewhere but after the move I can't seem to find all my stuff.
The drivers are torx head ,,,you can get a cheap set at most discount stores...lot of those type of screws....
The shift cable is made of braided steel,,,,they sometimes frey inside which causes the cable to bind,,,if you disconnect at the trans and top,,,,cable should slide quite freely,,,if not ,,,guess you might need a cable,,,when disconnected shifter should move freely...process of elimination !!!!!!!

gbaum
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

This may be a very drastic solution, but you can remove the cupholder and mount plate over the trans. and boneyard in a floor shifter. They aren't easy to find, but they drop right in, attach right up, and you can forget the column crap from then on. You lose the cupholder, though, and need an aftermarket boot to make the floor look nice, seems fair trade instead of ripping the damn dash apart.
It worked for me, did take a bit of fussing and tweaking to adjust the throw angles, but not too hard.
Knifeblade is offline   Reply With Quote