Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:47 AM   #31
mentaldetektor
AF Newbie

mines a 2003 and you cant see any difference in the paint.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #32
all4fun1977
AF Newbie

Hi,

2005 Z71 Crew, 6000 miles. I went ahead and removed the moulding today. I am so, so happy with the results. Looks 10x better in my opinion. Also removed all the badges from the tailgate. Took quite a bit of time and I do also have a couple of blisters from it but all in all, I really like it.

FYI, this is how I did it.

I used a room heater (the kind that has the red heating element on it)
Placed it on a chair next to the moulding and just let it sit there for about 10 minutes. Moulding got very soft.
Passenger side came off with no problem and left almost no residue.
Driver side was not so lucky. Left a lot of residue and I spent quite a bit of time getting that off.
I did use Goo Gone to get the residue off.

Biggest PITA was getting the chevrolet emblem off the back of the truck. Tape was very difficult to remove.

Anyway, maybe tomorrow I can post some pictures of it.

BTW, got some door mouldings for sale if anyone wants them. There practically brand new.
all4fun1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM   #33
Dano 00TA
AF Newbie

Smile

If any of you want to sell the moldings you removed from a ex cab, let me know. I'd like to get the 8pc set but if the price is right for a 4 pc I'd take it.
Dano 00TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:25 PM   #34
Faze3
AF Enthusiast

Re: How To:Door Molding/Badging Removal

I took the modlings off of my '01 last weekend. Borrowed a heat gun from a buddy. Easiest to do was the door that was sitting in the sun.

What made the job easier was my 1400psi pressure washer. I wasn't prepared for the black foamy tape that was under the the badges.

I used the pressure washer to remove the bulk of the tape.

I used Goo Gone and a plastic ice scraper to get a majority of the rest off and when I got tire of that, broke out the orbital polisher.

The truck looks so much better without the badges. I opted to leave the door modling on.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is a quick mod. All told, it still took me about 3 or 4 hours to get it all done. Well, that and I washed the truck too. I'll update my sig to show the badgeless version sometime when I'm not too lazy and when its not raining

Faze3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #35
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess
After I removed mine, and the adhesive was still on there, I tried for a second just too use the 3m adhesive remover and wipe it off. Didn't work too well, so I drove the truck to the local washateria and got it good and wet. This made the adhesive remover work so much better and I was finally able to give my blister ridden fingers a break. It came off 100% easier after I soaked the truck down. The hardest thing to remove for me was the stupid dealer sticker on the back. I can't stand it when dealers put these things on vehicles. Most of the time they're the tackiest looking things in the world!!! I know...advertising and all, but good grief it was gaudy!!! PITA to get off as well.

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:13 AM   #36
aharrold
AF Newbie

Own a 2000 Ext Cab, removed all mouldings and badges, including the LS, last year. I used fishing line like dental floss on everything-worked really fast, used WD-40 to remove all glues:sprayed on,let sit, used alot of elbow grease w/ a cotton towel. Also removed pinstripe-harder than any of the others, being careful, it would come off in longer pieces, but most came off in very small bits and pieces. Best looking changes to the truck, by far. You can also use WD-40 as a great bug&tar remover.
aharrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:06 AM   #37
KylePBZ
AF Regular

The best way to remove the tape that holds the mouldings on is to use the side of your thumb. No Goo Gone or any other solvents. Just roll it off with your thumb. It will still take a while and you will get blisters but it's alot faster than any other method.

I found out the hard way after doing one side then asking a bodyman the best way.
KylePBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #38
borninski
AF Newbie

Re: Re: How To:Door Molding/Badging Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratguy
I wouldn't recommend Goo Gone. I tried it last night, and it left some minor scratches in the paint. I used Maguire's Swirl Remover which made it look like new again, but I don't think Goo Gone is a good idea. Just my .02 cents.

.02 cents, eh? Not 2 cents? Just 2 one-hundredths of 1 cent? Just making sure...
borninski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #39
borninski
AF Newbie

Got all my badges off but HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE PINSTIPING?! The pinstripes on my tailgate are already coming off so that shouldn't be that hard but the ones all up and down the sides (ext. cab) are on there. Any good methods to getting them off easily, things to do, things to avoid, etc.? Help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
borninski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:49 AM   #40
Jay eS Iye
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Jay eS Iye

if the pinstriping is anything like the CHEVROLET sticker in the back just wait until it's hot outside (noon-2ish) and then just slowly peel it off. I peeled off all the stickers on my truck with no problem. was also able to get the silverado badges off up by the door (some say LS, mine is just a low-level silverado)

The Ultimate Honda Engine
Jay eS Iye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:28 PM   #41
Red Slilvy
AF Newbie

I Just removed the 1500 on the door and the chevrolet on the tailgait. It was 97 and the sun was out it took 10 min. to remove with my finger nails. I did rewax the spot with color matching wax. Mine is Victoria Red. It looks great. I left the black side trim on it because I park in parking lots.

Last edited by Red Slilvy; 08-13-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Red Slilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:02 AM   #42
Dano 00TA
AF Newbie

Come on guys, seems like alot of people are removing the side moldings here. If you do remove it from a ex-cab I'd be interested in buying it from you. I prefer the 8 pc set in black. I need a set for my gf's 05.

Anyone?
Dano 00TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #43
HD2500
AF Newbie

If anyone has a passenger side rear door molding for a 2001 2500HD kicking around, I'll buy it. LMK
HD2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:53 AM   #44
crazy4nitro
AF Newbie

I'm also in need of a "set" of 1500HD badges.I drive a 2006 Silverado CC,
let me know so we can work something out.

Crazy4nitro
crazy4nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #45
01silverado03z400
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to 01silverado03z400

Has anyone tried to remove the chrome rocker guards? I bought my truck used and the previous ower had them put on. I plan on taking the body side mouldings off my truck but i think that the chrome below it would look funny by itself and its starting to rust anyways. Is it easier to do than taking the badges and mouldings off or is it the same thing?

NEW - 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L RCSB Z71 Hooker AeroChamber - Black Bear Tune - Welds - 33" Mickey Thompsons
01 Silverado 4.8L ECSB 4x4 True Flow - Magnaflow - Black Bear Tune - 35" BFG A/T - 4.56 Auburn SOLD
83 Sierra RCSB 2wd 350 Under construction
01silverado03z400 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado