Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat
JDM Motor & Parts info/chat Discussions on Mugen, Spoon etc. Plus, info on motor swaps (b18 's, b16's h22's etc) and other JDM info!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
xtrasmallarms
AF Newbie

Honda CRX Si Project

I am working on a project (crx si) wanted to replace the engine with a better one. Not only that but boost it also. I have heard that a b16 engine is the best for this, because of the realibilty and power that they have stock. Also heard that they take turbos well. True or False. Internally, nothing has to be changed. Unfortunately I have been told and read that you have to install lower compression pistons, bettter rods, stronger head gasket, and so on. So if anyone has some advice wether to rebuild the d16a6 or do a b16 swap. Totally a noob when it comes to swaps and internally changing parts, can do it and do it well but what steps should i take.
xtrasmallarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
jasonnastley
AF Newbie

Re: Honda CRX Si Project

B16A is better.
jasonnastley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Honda CRX Si Project

If you want to use a turbo a B16 of any kind is not ideal. They're built to make their power without forced induction of any kind using high compression and the original and most aggressive variable valve timing system; VTEC. They're also built to rev high. These factors are not turbo friendly, but there are a lot of other aftermarket parts available to get more power out of a B16. Cold air intakes, headers, exhaust systems, forged pistons, etc. Of course, these options are pretty expensive.
If you want to boost, you're better off with a lower compression non-VTEC engine, like a B18A, B18B, or even a ZC.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat