Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvair
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
bailey228
AF Newbie

Unhappy problems with reverse

Hey I just joined, I have a 66 corvair corsa (interesting that they don't list corvairs in adding a vehicle to your profile). I swear to God I have a curse on all cars! I love this car dearly but AAA won't take my calls anymore because I've used up all of my tows on this car . (I also blew my sisters 82 grand am engine but that thing had about 200,000 miles on it so it was just conicidence) I can fix basic things on my own and with a good book I can tear apart the engine and put it back together. But I'm at a loss here and so is my Dad, the local corvair expert. It will go into gear just fine, but when I try to go in reverse it won't budge. It feels just like I have the parking brake on (but I don't I promise!) Tranny fluid is full. Mabye I have a gear gone? but then wouldn't it not go into gear easily? About a year ago, me and my Dad pulled the engine and the trans to check them before I went to school with the car and everything looked good. Just a few seals we had to replace. Mabye he's protesting because I haven't spent as much time with him as I used to and when I do I drive carefully because I'm pregnant so I worry more. I know he's going to need a rebuild here soon for the engine and I'm sure the tranny will be done along with it. I have no idea how many miles this thing has on it, the odometer has been rolled back so many times. (right now it says he's got 200 miles and I KNOW that's not right it could be up close to 200,000 or more he's had a tough life) So if anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be, please let me know. All your help is very much appreciated.
bailey228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:59 PM   #2
SpitAndDirt
AF Regular

Re: problems with reverse

You have a corsa? I believe that the Corsas only came with a manual 4sp or 3 sp but it is highly unusual that you have a powerglide. Need more info in order to diagnose.
SpitAndDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
shakey604
AF Newbie

Re: Re: problems with reverse

If it is a Corsa with an auto, it should have a trans cooler on the side of the trans.. if not then someone has changed it
shakey604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:53 AM   #4
Ratt643
AF Newbie

Re: problems with reverse

I hope you got it fixed by now, but if not: check that the sprag is not put in backwards, which would cause it to lock up in reverse.Also check the shift linkage. There is a certain proceedure to adjusting the throttle linkage to the trans linkage.I dont have the procedure in front of me but I have it in a Corvair manual. Let me know if you need it.
Ratt643 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvair