Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Equinox
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
mrgaray86
AF Newbie

Check Engine light

hi guys, need help,,...

i have a 2006 chevy equinox 6cylinder, my check engine light came on and i took it into get it check and i got back about the coolant too low, thermostat defective, and/or the temp sensor defective.

well i changed both sensor and thermostat and has coolant (not low). the light went off for a week and then back on again, took it back in and same issue comes up... the light will come on and off every so often.

what can i do next to clear the light and get this issue fixed? please help i need to renew my tag by end of month and this came up....
mrgaray86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Check Engine light

Was it a P0128?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
mrgaray86
AF Newbie

yes it was that code you mentioned, low on coolant, thermostat defective, and/or temp sensor defective..

i changed the thermostat twice already and still, the light will stay on for a week and then turns off for 3 days and so on...
Old 08-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Without see the scan data, it's hard to say, but another possibility is the MAF sensor. This one also has the IAT (intake air temp) sensor built into it. If the IAT is reading more than so many degrees off, it could throw this code.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmtech1 For This Useful Post:
Ed W (08-21-2016)
Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
Without see the scan data, it's hard to say, but another possibility is the MAF sensor. This one also has the IAT (intake air temp) sensor built into it. If the IAT is reading more than so many degrees off, it could throw this code.
+1 ^^

The P0128 code indicates low coolant temperature not low coolant level. Does the temp gauge seem to be working correctly? If not then you'll need to inspect the wiring going to the coolant temp sensor and/or replace the coolant temp sensor.

The reason why the IAT sensor is a factor is because the computer compares the engine coolant temp to the intake air temp during a cold start. The computer correctly assumes that both sensors should indicate similar temps during the cold start and throws a code if there is too much of a difference during that test.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
mrgaray86
AF Newbie

sorry for not responding back sooner,

my light will go off for 3 days (passed emissions) and after that light will come back on for a week and so on.......

i have check the wires and they are good, temp gauge works when it goes passed half my fan comes on and then off after lowering passed half on the gauge.....

you think it might be the Air intake sensor?? please help
Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgaray86 View Post
sorry for not responding back sooner,

my light will go off for 3 days (passed emissions) and after that light will come back on for a week and so on.......

i have check the wires and they are good, temp gauge works when it goes passed half my fan comes on and then off after lowering passed half on the gauge.....

you think it might be the Air intake sensor?? please help
If all the related wiring checks out, the temp gauge appears to be accurate, and you are still getting the same P0128 code, then yes, I do think the intake air sensor is bad. However, on the 3.4L in the Equinox the intake air temp sensor is integrated into the mass air flow (MAF) sensor so you would need to replace the MAF sensor to fix the problem.

Before replacing any parts you should connect a scanner to the vehicle and compare the coolant temp and intake air temp readings to the ambient air temp before starting the engine after it has sat overnight. If the intake air temp is more than ten degrees different than the coolant temp sensor, then the MAF sensor needs to be replaced.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)

Last edited by Ruley73; 03-10-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: grammar corrections
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
mrgaray86
AF Newbie

okay well now that its getting hot, my check engine light come back on, i noticed that after replacing the temp sensor once i turn on the a/c the check engine comes back on i have replaced three already.... would a wire be shorting it out? or do i need to buy a sensor from the dealership instead of autozone?
Old 08-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Ed W
AF Newbie

What exactly does that MAF sensor control? i think it could be related to the problems i am having with my 2006 Equinox. I also think this car is a lemon and everyone I know who owns this car had this problem
Ed W is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Equinox