Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
postmonkey8
AF Newbie

Question 72 Chevelle Malibu doesn't like to start

I just bought a 72 Chevelle and have been having problems where the engine will sometimes not start. It will turn over but not start even though there is a spark AND fuel. I then come back about an hour later and then it will start? My guys at 110 speedshop have a hard time figuring out the problem even after replacing a bad coil spring. I have a very limited knowledge of engines so I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems.

Thanks
postmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 72 Chevelle Malibu doesn't like to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmonkey8 View Post
I just bought a 72 Chevelle and have been having problems where the engine will sometimes not start. It will turn over but not start even though there is a spark AND fuel. I then come back about an hour later and then it will start? My guys at 110 speedshop have a hard time figuring out the problem even after replacing a bad coil spring. I have a very limited knowledge of engines so I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems.

Thanks
If the choke is not closing on a cold start you will not be able to get the engine to start...with the air cleaner off/open pump the gas pedal once to the floor see if the choke plate is closed..If not the choke stove spring is N/G or the rod not properly adjusted...

finding a mechanic that can adjust this properly on your 1972 can be hard to find..some like myself have the adjustment info to do this ..

1973 impala ...........
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
BrianAlex
AF Newbie

Make sure it's a good blue spark and that the timing is correct.
I'm in L.A. too and I have a '69 with the 350 ci and I disabled the choke 14 years ago and have never had a problem (it never gets cold in L.A.). But make sure the carb squirts a little gas when you open it quickly (engine off),just take off the air filter and watch/listen.
BrianAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Tony Silva
AF Regular

Ha, Ha, 110 Speed Shop SUCKS!!! .....Took my car there 4 times before I realized that I KNOW more than thier "techs"....bastards even offerd me a job!!!
Any how, your car...1972...right???...you just bought it...having ignition probs already??? I am totally assuming that the previous owner converted the distributor from points to HEI (big distributor cab) ignition. Look, Ive owned 15 to 20 Chevelles. If he had points type ignition I would change them to HEI. I honestly believe that this is what the previous owner did. But he messed up when he didn't change out the whole ignition (12 volt +) wire to the distributor cap. He's an idiot...I can say that because I was an idiot too in regards to this!!! The car "starts, runs fine...starts fine some times then nothing then for no apparent reason then all of a sudden every thing is OK again. Shit...so simple....This is the fix!!!:::replace the ENTIRE wire to the ignition!!! HERE IT IS::::On the "BAT" terminal of the distibutor,...run a 14 guage wire to the PINK terminal (wire) on the ignition plug. THIS PLUG IT THE LONG FLAT PLUG ATTATCHED TO THE STEERING COLUMN....NEAR THE DRIVERS RIGHT KNEE...IT IS HELD TO THE COLUMN WITH SIMPLE SLOTS OF THE COLUMN HOUSING. CUT THE PINK WIRE, TIE IN A 3-WAY CONNECTOR OR SPLICE INTO IT IN ANY WAY YOU WANT.

Last edited by Tony Silva; 06-28-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: words
Tony Silva is offline   Reply With Quote