Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
knilive2
AF Newbie

code p0011-10

I have a 2010 cobalt with 2.2 123,000 miles. 2 weeks ago my cobalt begin to misfire just a little bit. not it miss very bad when stopped at a light . so bad the motor shakes n nock. but when I drive it good. I got the two codes p0011-10 so I change the cam position sensor . it still does the same thing. plus I change the plugs 4 days go . and I change the oil putting 4 n a half quarts of oil in it . today it was only 2 quarts in it. but not oil on the ground or under the motor. it not smoking out of the pipes also.please help cause this is my gas saver. what next
knilive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: code p0011-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knilive2 View Post
I have a 2010 cobalt with 2.2 123,000 miles. 2 weeks ago my cobalt begin to misfire just a little bit. not it miss very bad when stopped at a light . so bad the motor shakes n nock. but when I drive it good. I got the two codes p0011-10 so I change the cam position sensor . it still does the same thing. plus I change the plugs 4 days go . and I change the oil putting 4 n a half quarts of oil in it . today it was only 2 quarts in it. but not oil on the ground or under the motor. it not smoking out of the pipes also.please help cause this is my gas saver. what next
If it's not leaking the oil, then it's burning it. Lost two quarts in four days? That's a lot. The cam actuators use oil pressure to advance the cam timing, if the oil level is low, the cams cannot advance when commanded to by the ECM and then codes will set. Need to figure out where all your oil is going.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
knilive2
AF Newbie

This afternoon ill change the oil again then pull start over . Thank you for your help
Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
knilive2
AF Newbie

I change the oil again and the oil level is ok. I took the new cam position sensor back to auto zone because it seems to not be the problem. but someone told me I had to reset the check engine after I replace the old or maybe even set the timing. I have no club so someone please help. today I got up and the check engine light was off with the old cam position sensor in it. I drove maybe 50 mile and stop for gas and the light came back on and the car begin to misfire once again. why may I ask is this thing coming and going. same code p0011/ p0010. I also check the variable valve timing and the 3 screen are on there. please help
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

What code is p0010-11? Codes normally don't have a dash embedded in them. Is that these two codes?

P0010 - Intake Cam Position sensor Open Circuit
P0011- Camshaft Position system actuator bank1 timing over-advance.

Since it is telling you there is an electrical fault in the CMP, use a resistance meter to verify. If the CMP is not at fault, then check the wiring for continuity between the CMP and the computer.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I've recently seen the same behavior in my 2009 Cobalt. It seems that the error code is describing a problem with the valve timing advance system. Autozone has a diagnostic procedure you can follow help isolate the cause.

In my case, if the engine starts to run rough at idle, I can move the wires on the intake valve camshaft position actuator (located near the 'front' of the engine, under the plastic engine cover, passenger side of the vehicle) to stop the problem. Once I stop the problem I can't make it re-occur by moving the wires. It immediately re-occurs if I remove the connector from the actuator, and resumes normal operation a few seconds after I reconnect the plug. After this 'treatment' the engine will run OK for a few trips and then the problem will return.

I haven't yet tried replacing the actuator, but I've replaced the oil since this occurred with no improvement. The symptoms really look like it is caused by an electrical problem, but I have not been able to conclusively determine if this is correct. The electrical resistance of the actuator is in the allowed range.

I may try tapping on the actuator at the next opportunity to see if that will help it resume normal operation. Otherwise, I don't know anything else to do but blindly replace it to see if that prevents the problem from returning.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

The symptoms became worse over time and I ended up replacing the actuator with a new one, and the problem was resolved.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt