Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
JamesEricAndrew
AF Newbie

Key Fob Programming 99 Grand Am

Does anyone know how to program a key fob for a 99 grand am? I have tried a couple of things I have found on the net but can't get it to work. Thanks!
JamesEricAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
skeeter123
AF Regular

Re: Key Fob Programming 99 Grand Am

Try this.... worked for my 2000 Alero:

First, check the battery in the remote, should be a CR2032, for 3.0 volts. If you have other/spare remote, does that one still work?

Transmitter Programming Important

Once the remote control door lock receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode, the programming of the first transmitter erases all previous transmitter programming information. You must then program all of the transmitters.

Up to 4 transmitters may be programmed.

To program the transmitters, perform the following procedure while seated in the vehicle driver's seat:

1. Close all the vehicle doors.
2. Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
3. Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.

Important
To successfully enter the keyless entryprogramming/diagnostic mode, steps 4 through 6 must be completed within 25 seconds of pressing the door unlock switch.

4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.
5. Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
6. Release the door lock switch. The chime will sound three chimes to signal that transmitter programming/diagnostic mode is active.
7. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for approximately 4 seconds. The chime will sound two times to signal that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.
8. Repeat step 7 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).
9. To exit the transmitter programming/diagnostic mode perform either of the following:

Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch, or
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

A few years ago, my remote quit working, it turned out that the metal clip which held the battery in place had a broken solder joint. I re-soldered it twice, then ended up getting a couple new ones, and re-programming per procedure above.
Hope this helps.
skeeter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
JamesEricAndrew
AF Newbie

Didn't work......I read in another thread that the 99s have to be taken to a GM dealership.....that's not going to happen just for a keyless entry fob.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Onblsht
Authorized Vendor

Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)

To program the transmitters, perform the following procedure while seated in the vehicle driver's seat:

Close all the vehicle doors.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.

Important
To successfully enter the keyless entry programming/diagnostic mode, steps 4 through 6 must be completed within 25 seconds of pressing the door unlock switch.

While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.

Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
Release the door lock switch. The chime will sound three chimes to signal that transmitter programming/diagnostic mode is active.

Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for approximately 10-15 seconds. The chime will sound two times to signal that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.

Repeat step 7 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).

To exit the transmitter programming/diagnostic mode perform either of the following:

Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
Onblsht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
JamesEricAndrew
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onblsht View Post
Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)

Close all the vehicle doors.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.

Important
To successfully enter the keyless entry programming/diagnostic mode, steps 4 through 6 must be completed within 25 seconds of pressing the door unlock switch.

While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.

Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
Release the door lock switch. The chime will sound three chimes to signal that transmitter programming/diagnostic mode is active.

Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for approximately 10-15 seconds. The chime will sound two times to signal that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.

Repeat step 7 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).

To exit the transmitter programming/diagnostic mode perform either of the following:

Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
This method does not work for my '99
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
andretti
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Key Fob Programming 99 Grand Am

Your '99 requires the Tech 2 to program the receiver.
andretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 AM   #7
jack dully
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Key Fob Programming 99 Grand Am

I have 2 matching key fobs that match my only existing original remote on my 1999 grand am se.It also has a factory installed ( when purchased new) VSC-3000 security system module.2 attempts with a scan tool were made,one by a GM dealership tech and another by an automotive locksmith,they could not program the key fobs.I'm not sure if it's an early model or late 1999.I have tried various methods on line that were for a 1999 and nothing seems to work.My original still works fine but would like to program the two matching ones as back up.Does anyone truly know how to program these 2 remotes.THANKS
jack dully is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM