Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
blahcomp222
AF Newbie

NJ Inspection in 3 weeks. 2 codes. Erase NOW? or ?

2000 Ford ranger 6 cylinder.
I have a code reader. Shows 2 codes: P0171 & P0174 (system too lean bank 1, and bank 2 [hopefully just a leak intake pipe or clean MAF again). I have all things 'Ready' except for EVAP.
My inspection 2 years ago, I passed with p0171 PENDING and EVAP NOT READY. I did a bunch of erasing of codes and changed o2 censors etc prior to that inspection but that's what I still had when it did indeed pass.

I read all different claims about how many codes can be pending or 'not ready' depending on car year or weight, but I called DMV today and they said it 'should pass' with 2 pending codes plus EVAP not Ready. I don't care if I don't pass on the first try because I can go back for free re-inspection, and I've had many-a red stickers and only got an $80 ticket once after I couldn't get a previous car to pass for months and months and finally got a ticket.

so anyway, my question is, do I erase the codes right now and then let the truck do the CYCLE to be ready for inspection with pending codes? Or should I attempt to fix the codes (hopefully just clean MAF and/or check for intake leaks but I did that 2 years ago and the MAF cleaning fixed a different code [I had like 6 codes 2 years ago] and I couldn't find any intake pipe leaks therefore these 2 LEAN codes might be a harder fix and I'm actually getting a new truck in like 3-4 months anyway and basically donating this rusted POS]). So I don't want to go too crazy trying to fix these codes right at the moment. Maybe before I get rid of it I will though.

In other words, if I just erase the two codes with my code reader, in about 3 weeks the 2 codes will become as pending? Or will they be out of pending by then and become active? I don't (no one really does) know the exact method to get the CYCLE done to get the 2000 ford ranger to be 'ready' for inspection so I don't want to wait too long and not be able to drive it enough in order for it to cycle. but I know I can't just erase the codes the day before because then the whole system won't be ready for inspection.

I'd rather at least have a red sticker than to just have an expired April 2018 sticker because I waited too long from now to erase the codes and the truck isn't ready yet.
thanks in advance.
blahcomp222 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General