Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Acclaim
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
jbwatring
AF Newbie

Post Problems with a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim

I am in help of finding what is wrong with my 1991 Plymouth Acclaim. It stalled when I was driving it and now it won't start. It has a new fuel pump on it but it is not getting any fuel to it. The fuses have been checked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jbwatring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
niko851
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Problems with a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim

Hi there -

Oddly enough, i've got the SAME problem with mine.... Only thing, mine WILL start when it 'feels' that it is time to run again.... I have 27000 ORIGINAL miles on it; gramma's ol' pride & joy that went around teh corner to the store and a 1/2 mile down the road to the bank - period.... I've put about 15,000 miles on it in thelast 2 years...LOL

Anyway, last summer I replaced plugs, fuel lines, new stat, brakes, etc. etc. etc. well - let's just say ALOT of the replacements were due to it 'sitting' and not running much... Nevertheless, we have mirror issues. I checked to see if I get spark when it won't start and I do; I am also getting fuel. The ONLY thing I can possible think of, for you to try at least, is let me know (when it was running or if you get it running) if you hear a chattering from the engine when you first start it up and it goes on for about 5-10 minuts until it warms up. I'm thinking (in my case - maybe yours) that the timing chain is a gonner... Again, given the car sat more than it will ever be driven, everyhing being replaced is due to "old age" and not wear/tear....EVERYTING is original.... Despite it all, never ever had a problem till about 3 weeks ago....

HOpe this situation gives you an idea to try and isolate this. share more info if you have some as we're both more/less in this together... Thanks and hope this will give you and I both a better idea of what's going on....
Niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwatring
I am in help of finding what is wrong with my 1991 Plymouth Acclaim. It stalled when I was driving it and now it won't start. It has a new fuel pump on it but it is not getting any fuel to it. The fuses have been checked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
niko851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
jbwatring
AF Newbie

Question Advice on wiring in 1991 Plymouth Acclaim

Checked fuel pump and it is good. Checked timing chain and it is good. Is there any advice anyone can give me on the wiring of this vehicle. I feel like just junking this car but I really need it. My spouse and I don't know much about wiring so any help would be greatly appreciated.
jbwatring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
pugsly58318
AF Newbie

Re: Problems with a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim

I would check the fuel pump relay. It's under the hood by the battery. Have someone turn the key to on while your touching the three relays that are there. The fuel pump relay should click. Most of the time you can hear it click. That is probably the rattling noise you would hear from up there as these motors have a timing belt, not a chain. I have the same problem on my dads Acclaim. Everything has been replaced besides the pump and lines and it still only runs when it wants too. If you changed the distributer cap you might want to check that you didn't pinch off the wires to the hall effect sensor. That's the wire that runs under the cap. Some after market caps don't have the notch for these wires.
pugsly58318 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Acclaim