Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
jefeconsop
AF Newbie

Squealing engine still

My trooper squeals when I start it. Mostly when cold, but now that its warm outside, it still squeals. After it is started, if I rev up the engine a couple of times, it stops. Also at times when driving it will squeal out of nowhere. Also the check engine light goes on after driving for a while, but when I come to a stop it turns off. Anyone?
jefeconsop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Re: Squealing engine still

from what you've said, the squeel sounds like the classic loose alternator belt. could be another belt. could be a bearing. could be.... first i would replace the belt or belts and adjust it. be aware that isuzu belts tend to get tightened more than others i'm familiar with. without the scale the manual says to use, i tend to install a bit too loose (afraid to overtighten and kill the bearing) and then readjust a time or two until the squeel stops.also if your belt is old, it's better to replace than tighten at this point.

it's possible the alternator belt is causing your other symptoms, including the cel. let's see...

and have you read or had read the cel code(s) stored?

year? model? engine? trans? etc.

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
jefeconsop
AF Newbie

what is this cel code(s) stored? I put new belts on recently, but still squeals. I will try to loosen them a bit. When the car has run a while, there is no squeal. Thanks for the advice. It is a 3.2 liter SOHC 1995 automatic trans
Old 04-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

again...
what year, model, engine, transmission....?
editadd: nevermind...i just saw it, duh..

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.

Last edited by trooperbc; 04-04-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefeconsop
what is this cel code(s) stored? .... It is a 3.2 liter SOHC 1995 automatic trans
when the Check Engine Light (CEL), comes on, it is indicating that a code has been stored (usually) in the computer. if you retrieve or read this code number, it will lead you to the area that isn't working correctly according to the diagnostic software. on your 1995 you have the OBD I system, which is less complete than the 1996and on OBD II system. [OBD = OnBoard Diagnostic]

the good news is, you can read your own codes by jumpering a connector and reading the number of times the CEL (check engine light) blinks to get the diagnostic code number.

it's common for the alternator belt to squeel when cold and not when warm.
it's also possible it could be a bearing. best bet is to carefully use a piece of hose in your ear, or maybe a long screwdriver and try to isolate the area of the squeel. you can also remove the belts one at a time (when cold) and see if there is a difference for one of them.

//bc

Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
jefeconsop
AF Newbie

Trooperbc, you were right about the squealing alternater belt. I changed the idler pulley, and it still squealed. Tightened the alternater belt, and no noise. Awesome. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooperbc
when the Check Engine Light (CEL), comes on, it is indicating that a code has been stored (usually) in the computer. if you retrieve or read this code number, it will lead you to the area that isn't working correctly according to the diagnostic software. on your 1995 you have the OBD I system, which is less complete than the 1996and on OBD II system. [OBD = OnBoard Diagnostic]

the good news is, you can read your own codes by jumpering a connector and reading the number of times the CEL (check engine light) blinks to get the diagnostic code number.

it's common for the alternator belt to squeel when cold and not when warm.
it's also possible it could be a bearing. best bet is to carefully use a piece of hose in your ear, or maybe a long screwdriver and try to isolate the area of the squeel. you can also remove the belts one at a time (when cold) and see if there is a difference for one of them.

//bc
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefeconsop
..... Thanks.
your welcome. thanks for the feedback.

//bc

Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
jefeconsopatoke
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooperbc View Post
your welcome. thanks for the feedback.

//bc
Trooper is back to squealing in the winter of course. Bearing? Anyone?
jefeconsopatoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
LEM
AF Regular

I had a sqeal in my 2000 Trooper and I thought for sure it was a belt or idler. Turned out to be the intake manifold gasket; it also caused the CEL to caome on. I would have sworn it was a belt issue, but it was an air leak that sounded just like a squeal. Another possibility.
-2019 Subaru Ascent (the wife's)
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard