Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
9ers guy
AF Newbie

Question Mpg

Hello
I recently purchased a 2000 Trooper, with 60,000 miles. Seems like a good deal, until I went to the gas pump for the 2nd time this week. Seems I'm getting around 12-13 miles per gallon. The guy who owned it before me, had taken the air filter housing off and put a cone shaped one on? Any advise, on improving my mileage? I have read a few of the postings and cleaned my pcv and EGR valves. One side note, he also put a large ( but seems to be light weight ) rook rack on.

Thanks
9ers guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: Mpg

yank the roof rack off if you're not using it. It will cause wind drag, and eat up some mpg.

winter time you will always see less MPG.

Also, that cone is probably not helping much either (dirty hot engine air). head to

www.car-parts.com

and purchase the OEM filter box.

also, check your tire pressure.

After that, you will have to wait for spring.

...I see you are in WI (me too; Madison).

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

12-13MPG is pretty normal for a 1998-2002 trooper on winter blended gasolines. Keep your tires aired to spec & like Ryan says, pull the roof rack when you dont need it.
G/luck
Joel
Old 01-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
[iV]Kermit
AF Regular

A K&N Air Filter probably wouldn't hurt either. They run $40 but are good for 1 million miles.

One simple replacement would also be the fuel filter. It'd take about 5 minutes to replace and could possibly help.

I was getting about 15-17 in a 91 Trooper with 159k.
[iV]Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
travelman
AF Regular

Re: Re: Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by [iV]Kermit
A K&N Air Filter probably wouldn't hurt either. They run $40 but are good for 1 million miles.

One simple replacement would also be the fuel filter. It'd take about 5 minutes to replace and could possibly help.
He already has cone filter which is likely a K+N. Like Amigo-2k noted that may not be all that good for mileage, especially if you have a heavy foot.

I also fail to see how a fuel filter would help milege unless he is having fuel starvation symptoms which he is not reporting. That being said it is usually a good idea when buying a used vehicle to replace such maintenance consumables that the prior owner may or may not have kept up with. I just wouldn't expect it to have any mpg effect.
travelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelman
He already has cone filter which is likely a K+N. Like Amigo-2k noted that may not be all that good for mileage, especially if you have a heavy foot....
Agreed. In fact, K&N style airfilters do more harm than good if not properly maintained. Fouled MAF's due to oil carry-over, pass more dirt, etc... I've seen 'zu owners have many problems from them.
G/luck
Joel
Old 01-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
9ers guy
AF Newbie

Thanks all for the wealth of knowledge! I will look into the new air filter ( can I get a cone one or just get a new housing and run over the old one ). I am going to tear the hideous luggage rack off tonight. I think the over sized bumper that is on, also has something to do with it. Thanks again you all have been a great help!
9ers guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
[iV]Kermit
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo02
Agreed. In fact, K&N style airfilters do more harm than good if not properly maintained. Fouled MAF's due to oil carry-over, pass more dirt, etc... I've seen 'zu owners have many problems from them.
G/luck
Joel
http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper - Recommends K&N filters and about being hard to maintain. Essentially you buy an oil kit for $9.99 follow the instructions which tell you to:

Wash the filter in water
Let it dry
Spray on a thin coat of K&N oil
Let dry
Touch up

Sounds pretty simple to me.
[iV]Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard