Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 06:00 PM   #1
prodigen
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to prodigen Send a message via AIM to prodigen
Question Dual Exhaust on a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Ok, I've added a K&N air filter to my car and have recently added dual exhaust. I have two dynomax welded ultra-flo mufflers. I plan on redoing my pipes in about a week or so. My plan is to do one of two things:

1) Install one muffler near the catalytic converter and have 2.5" pipe all the way through. Split the pipes at a y to go to duals.

2) Increase the pipe diameter to 2.5" but have the traditional install of a y-split towards the rear and use two muflers at the rear as well.

My personal preference would be to go with option 1, considering it would most likely be louder (hotter and higher velocity exhaust gases near the cat) and there probably wouldn't be any draw back that i know of. Currently, I'm set with option 2, except with crappy stock pipe...that feels way too restrictive. My actual question is pertaining to option 1, would there be any drawbacks to doing it that way as far as damage or performance losses???

Thanks for the help.
prodigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 09:55 PM   #2
99silverGT
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 99silverGT
have u considered going with a silencer type muffler just behind the cat. i did this on a 4.0 v6 ford ranger. i ran a y pipe out of the silencer and run 2.5" duals all the way back with 3.5" X 18" chrome tips in the rear. sounded great but not too loud. thinking about doing it on my 99 grand prix gt.
99silverGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:58 PM   #3
Scott 02
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Scott 02 Send a message via Yahoo to Scott 02
How loud are those ultra flows?? im sure they are quite loud
Scott 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
swamack
Banned

If you ask me, the stock grand prix sounds great.
swamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:37 PM   #5
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus
I liked the sound of my Grand Prix but the mufflers are starting to blow out. I would like to hear from anyone out there who has redone their exhuast.
what did you use(brands,ect.)?
cost(where you found the best deals)?
did it create any problems with the onboad computer(codes)?

Prodigen, did you ever decide what to do with your exhaust?
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:38 PM   #6
Scott 02
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Scott 02 Send a message via Yahoo to Scott 02
What i would do is simply replace the mufflers with Thrush Turbo's. If you are not sure about these they offer a great tone upon acceleration that isn't loud as hell. They will get slightly louder but not all that bad. The higher the RPm's the quieter they are. Other wise...Replace them with new stock mufflers. You should get 65,000 miles on them
Scott 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
i3o2Matt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to i3o2Matt Send a message via Yahoo to i3o2Matt
i've redone my exhaust the car soundz awesome...you get the low rumble at idle and farther up the RPM range you can't hear the exhaust too much from inside, but it sounds very nice on the outside...i kno because one of my friend's friend is very hard to impress when it comes to cars and he actually liked how my exhaust sounded...it doesn't sound like the civics or integraz that u hear...its more along the lines of a muscle car...but not quite...i cant really explain it...the only thing is that the exhaust needs to warm up b4 u can really hear it...

the exhaust is a 3A racing dual-tip DTM-style straight thru exhaust (i kno i kno pep boys brand but hey...soundz awesome)

i paid $110 for da muffler and actually had it installed for free (connections--would'ah cost me $115)

There are no onboard computer problems
i3o2Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
94GPSHAKER
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dual Exhaust on a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

what would be the best choice to get dual exaust put in or keep the single and put a high flow muffler or cut off cat?
94GPSHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:57 AM   #9
94gpse
AF Regular

The thrush turbo's don't sound like a ricer do they???
94gpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #10
94GPSHAKER
AF Enthusiast

kind of with the turbo thing , hey !! i found this website with pics of a 1991 or 1992 gp se and they have the same body style as the 94's stock. do you think they would fit on the 94 ?? if so im buying them along with the wrap around wing. check it out theyre so hard the green and white one http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/body-grandprix1.html
Old 04-25-2004, 12:38 PM   #11
94GPSHAKER
AF Enthusiast

OH i forgot to say what i have done that would make it look hard i bought some lightweight aluminum racing rims and im going to get them pearl white dipped i have a 4 door and i allready have the stock 2 1/2 inch ground effects so ill just keep the side skirts that i have i have chrome around where the ground effects start (looks pretty player) and i have a system that could relocate your heart. 4000watt MA audio high current mono block 1 18inch audiobahn ultra high excursion sub and 2 12" cusom volfenhag comp subs in all cusom box mp3 0 gauge wire, 5 fared ma cap,yada yada yada i will post pics soon. i just ordered a chip for my ride too so that will add to the alt, starter, perf waterpump, senseatrack shocks n struts ....man now that i think about it i pretty much have a brand new car -GPSHAKER-