Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
jeremy172
AF Newbie

Question my vtec is very loud why

When my vtec comes on its very loud,i mean loud like a lawn mower but louder.it can be hurd about a mile away.i no vtec is loud,but its louder than anyone i've ever hurd.Soi anyone have any reasons let me no thanks

Last edited by jeremy172; 11-18-2003 at 09:31 PM.
jeremy172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Ricochet
Banned

Re: my vtec is very loud why

Well with a built B16 you'll have that. More air and more fuel = bigger boom. Do they have different engines/parts than you? If you have a cold air intake it will be a lot louder, or if they have sohc's they won't be as loud as yours.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
Privatebigandrew
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Privatebigandrew Send a message via Yahoo to Privatebigandrew
Lightbulb

I agree. The only VTEC engines that came from the factory for performance were the B16, B18, H22, and F20 (S2000?) engines. They were meant to be much louder than the single overhead cam engines. All the single cam VTEC engines came from Honda with fuel economy in mind. Of course the single cam 92-95 civic si wasn't really for fuel economy, but it clearly has nothing against a stock dual cam VTEC.
Privatebigandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #4
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg

The reason the DOHC vtec motors are louder than the SOHC are b/c they have better flowing motors, which leads to more air movement (basically). Now if you have a GSr and they have a B16 etc then yours will be alittle louder b/c of the dual runner intake manifold, it has two sets of runners one short and one long. The short runners have a set of butterflies that keep them blocked off and then when the ecu activates the Vtec solenoid it also opens these butterflies increasing the ability of the motor to consume more air and at a more rapid rate, which makes the intake louder b/c more air is being moved. Make sense?
Old 11-18-2003, 10:58 PM   #5
chechin
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to chechin

hey man, you should be very proud of that beautiful noise of vtec, it sounds like a bumblebee...I love the way vtec sounds on my B16 you should be proud too...
chechin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD