Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Outback
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 AM   #1
roadkill988
AF Newbie

2004 Subaru Outback Engine Mounts

How long do these last generally? I took my car to the shop for a HG repair and they told me it needs new engine mounts, which is the reason the engine sounds like a diesel engine and vibrates the car when stopped at a red light. But they were saying they could only do that by putting in a whole new engine.

I don't understand that. Are they just trying to save themselves the trouble of having to do the HG repair AND put new engine mounts by simply swapping the engine? Obviously it's already costing me an arm and a leg for the HG repair, but it would cost me a kidney also to swap the engine. I see no reason for them to swap the engine to put in new engine mounts other than for convenience to them, unless I'm missing something here.

Last edited by roadkill988; 04-19-2016 at 11:39 PM.
roadkill988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: 2004 Subaru Outback Engine Mounts

I suggest you head over to Nasioc.com for real Subaru advice, the Subaru forums here are pretty dead since everyone has migrated over to Nasioc.com
Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
somick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray View Post
I suggest you head over to Nasioc.com for real Subaru advice, the Subaru forums here are pretty dead since everyone has migrated over to Nasioc.com
I like www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 AM   #4
roadkill988
AF Newbie

Thanks, I'll check out those forums then. Sorry for the profanity, I've had a rough month trying to get this dang Subaru Outback fixed going back and forth from shop to shop, and paying for a head gasket repair sucks !!!

The shop telling me I need new engine mounts was just acid on the wound. The thing that is bothering me the most though is trying to figure out why they can't do a HG repair along with replacing the mounts while they're in there. They basically gave me 3 ultimatums... 1) fix the head gasket but then they say they can't guarantee that the engine won't literally fall out eventually 2) Buy a whole new engine to get new mounts that go along with it and 3) buy a new car.

3 isn't an option, I just bought this car used !! And I don't get why I'd replace a good engine that just needs a new HG and motor mounts. I wouldn't know when that new engine's HG will fail (seems like all Subaru engine head gaskets are ticking time bombs). They're so great for the winter though and for snow conditions on the road here in the Northeastern U.S.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
somick
AF Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your problems.
Unfortunately Subaru of this years do have head gasket problems.

I have not worked on this Subaru's vintage engine mounts but from what I can understand it is about an hour labor plus the cost of parts. I cannot understand why the shops give you so much problems.

Head gaskets have nothing to do with engine mounts. Engine with a bad mount will vibrate but that is about it. Try to ask the shop why they will not do the HG without replacing engine mounts.

Good luck,
Sam

Old 11-25-2015, 05:21 AM   #6
roadkill988
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somick View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems.
Unfortunately Subaru of this years do have head gasket problems.

I have not worked on this Subaru's vintage engine mounts but from what I can understand it is about an hour labor plus the cost of parts. I cannot understand why the shops give you so much problems.

Head gaskets have nothing to do with engine mounts. Engine with a bad mount will vibrate but that is about it. Try to ask the shop why they will not do the HG without replacing engine mounts.

Good luck,
Sam
Thanks for your reply. I don't understand it either on why I'm getting problems from shops too. It seems like more and more every year shops only want to work on newer cars that don't have any serious problems. I did get the head gasket replaced finally, but I've noticed some oil seeping onto the ground now coming from near the oil pan. I've never had this happen before, could it be related to the HG replacements and will it go away? I read somewhere that it could just be left over oil they spilled, because the shop kept telling me they needed to clean up the engine before it was ready.

I also need to find a generous mechanic whose willing to replace my motor mounts.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
somick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill988 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I don't understand it either on why I'm getting problems from shops too. It seems like more and more every year shops only want to work on newer cars that don't have any serious problems. I did get the head gasket replaced finally, but I've noticed some oil seeping onto the ground now coming from near the oil pan. I've never had this happen before, could it be related to the HG replacements and will it go away? I read somewhere that it could just be left over oil they spilled, because the shop kept telling me they needed to clean up the engine before it was ready.

I also need to find a generous mechanic whose willing to replace my motor mounts.
Wait a little and see if the oil dripping will go away. Otherwise the shop should fix it.

For a good mechanic I know what you are talking about. I used to live in Philadelphia and the reason I started working on my own cars was exactly this...

Sam

Old 11-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
roadkill988
AF Newbie

Ok I'll wait and bring it back if it doesn't stop, it seems to be not doing it as much as when I first got it back.

Quote:
For a good mechanic I know what you are talking about. I used to live in Philadelphia and the reason I started working on my own cars was exactly this...
Yep it's ridiculous
Old 11-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Head gasket failures on that year and up to '08 are common. Supposedly they've got that fixed now. Take it back to them to have it put on a lift and check that oil leak. Even if it's repair residue they're responsible for cleaning it up. You need to get another estimate from another repair shop for the mounts replacement. Also check out the prices of the mounts on Rock Auto.com to compare. Most shops will mark up parts they supply.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #10
roadkill988
AF Newbie

This is a very late reply to my own topic but thought I'd give an update since I last posted. Firstly, thank you all again for your helpful responses. Now, I haven't gotten the motor mounts replaced yet but the HG repair seems to have gone well so far, no issues since, no leaking oil anymore either. I do get some leaking fluid sometimes from one or more of the wheels however, I don't know if it's brake fluid or power steering fluid. I do keep an eye on the fluids under the under the hood but they don't seem to be getting lower at all. I also found out that the catalytic converter will need to be replaced eventually and the suspension is squeaky too . Ugh, I bought a damn lemon. Nonetheless I will try my hardest to get good quotes from multiple mechanics on all the repairs needed, I will try and keep this car alive!

I do have a question though, is it safe to continue driving on bad motor mounts??

The car really only vibrates at a full stop and I can actually stop the vibration when I put it in neutral every time I stop. Don't know if that's harmful to the transmission though.

Any more advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
somick
AF Enthusiast

Vibration, especially at idle, may be caused by a misfire but if this is a motor mount I would address it rather now. One bad mount will put more strain on another one.

What do you mean "leaking at wheels"? If you leak brake fluid you must stop driving the car. This is dangerous! The fluid may get under the brake pads and you will not be able to stop the vehicle when needed.

Power steering fluid on another hand will rather leak somewhere closer to the center of the vehicle.

Good luck on your repairs!

Sam

Old 04-21-2016, 04:36 AM   #12
roadkill988
AF Newbie

Quote:
What do you mean "leaking at wheels"?
After driving for a bit (like 40 min. drive) I'll sometimes see a wet spot near one or more of the wheels, usually in the front, after parking and shutting the car off. This doesn't happen all the time though. I think it might be a power steering leak as I do know it is failing. I put in some 'stop leak' power steering fluid and it seems to have helped a bit.

Quote:
Vibration, especially at idle, may be caused by a misfire but if this is a motor mount I would address it rather now. One bad mount will put more strain on another one.
Nah it's definitely not a misfire, my older 96 Subaru Legacy used to give me misfires so I can tell the difference between those types of vibrations. Also I was told by the mechanic that did the HG repair that the motor mounts are bad and that is what causes the vibrations when it's at a full stop.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Outback