Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
yelkenli
AF Newbie

Exterior door trim removal

I need to remove and repaint the thin trim piece that runs horizontally down the side of the car. it is a stripe essentially, and might provide some guard against dings from other cars. I am not even sure what it is called. I need to remove it. Does anyone know how these are removed? Are they just pried off, or is there a trick to it.

thanks
ted
yelkenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
wiseguy01
AF Enthusiast

Re: Exterior door trim removal

yeah theres a trick to it some slide on and some snap in but be careful because if you snap the little anchors in the door then the piece will not go back on right
wiseguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Body side moldings? They just stick on with heavy-duty double sided tape. You can heat them with a hair dryer and pull them off. I never could understand the concept of painted body side molding. They are there to take the dings, but the paint is going to chip right off if anything hits them. Black body side moldings = good IMO.

Joel
Old 03-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
yelkenli
AF Newbie

Well, I took the trim off. this is the kind that is held on with clips. I decided to remove the interior door trim to get to the clips. I used needle nose pliers, the wrong tool, to squeeze them. My 7 year old daughter pulled on the trip as I squeezed, and we got it off in good condition. The door was immediately put back together.

The plastic, flexible moulding piece is from a silver Odyssey. Keeler Honda in Albany NY repaired the door, and I suppose they could not find my color (granite green), so they painted over a spare part or one ordered wrong. So it peeled within a few years.

I am roughing it up now, will then sand to the recommended grit, then spray paint with granite green.

I learned some tips on interior door removal: to remove the door-latch and door-lock trim piece, slide it forward after removing the screw. Also, three screws exposed after removing the speaker needs to be removed. The Haynes manual left out these details (not surprised).

Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelkenli
Well, I took the trim off. this is the kind that is held on with clips..
Good info. What year Ody? The last 4-5 vehicles I've owned with OEM BSMs, they were all stuck in place with double-sided tape. Sounds cheesy, but they are easier to deal with.

Joel
Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
yelkenli
AF Newbie

2001 Odyssey EX. The stick on might be a cost-out on later models - fewer parts, and fewer holes stamped into the door sheet metal. On the snap-on kind, in addition to the plastic clips, there was some sticky gasket type material.

The stick-on probably is easier on removal if the technique does not damage the surrounding paint. Quick question, are there any features on the stick-on kind that ensures perfect alignment? maybe a hidden groove or something?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelkenli
2001 Odyssey EX. The stick on might be a cost-out on later models - fewer parts, and fewer holes stamped into the door sheet metal. On the snap-on kind, in addition to the plastic clips, there was some sticky gasket type material.

The stick-on probably is easier on removal if the technique does not damage the surrounding paint. Quick question, are there any features on the stick-on kind that ensures perfect alignment? maybe a hidden groove or something?
Thanks. I've purchased and installed 'stick on' OEM body side moldings for some of my vehicles. None of them had a means to align the moldings other then measure or eyeball. I usually de-badge my vehicles as well. All those are stick on now. A warm day (or heat source), a plastic putty knife or fishing line to saw behind the object and they pull right off. You can clean off any remaining adhesive with WD40 or mineral spirits and a clean rag.

Joel

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey