Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
CKFord
AF Newbie

1993 Grand Caravan 3.3L Code 43

I recently purchased a 1993 Grand Caravan 3.3L (150K) for use as a work vehicle. It ran PERFECTLY for a week and then died one day with a "check gauge" light. I pulled over (with it coasting dead at about 35 mph), put it in park, turned the key and it started right up. A week later it happened again. Then again. The problem became progressively worse so that I actually had to have it towed the last time it died, it refused to start. I took it to a reputable mechanic with impeccable references who did the following work:

Crank Sensor: replaced
MAP sensor : replaced
Coil Packs : replaced
Spark Plugs : replaced
Spark Plug Wires: replaced
4451768 Computer: replaced (the one on the left (driver's) fender wall)

Now the only code given when the vehicle starts is code 43. My mechanic says this is a coil driver error, stating that it is a bad computer. Someone else said it could mean cylinder misfire and not be a computer issue at all. At any rate, my mechanic thinks maybe something is shorting out the computer and actually threw in the towel. He states that everyone from Chrysler or anyone he talks to says the computer is scrap. Again. (actually replaced it with salvage units 3 times). The vehicle will start cold and run OK and idle for about 30 seconds and die. Then it will run for about 10 seconds and die, then it won't start at all, just a bunch of popping, missing, etc. I have about 45 psi at the fuel rail and a working fuel pump. This vehicle has the potential to be a great work van but I can not seem to get anywhere passed the code 43. It HAS to be a simple problem to fix, everything else my pea brain can come up with has been addressed. Has anyone ever heard of such a mess or have a clue as to where I could direct further investigation? This thing ran like a top and now just sits there mocking me lol. I refuse to "throw in the towel" after all this hard work, there has to be a solution. Thanks for reading this novel and I look forward to any responses. Charles
CKFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
yogi_123rd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1993 Grand Caravan 3.3L Code 43

Your codes indicate a problem with the electric ignition system. Did you change your cam sensor?

43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time OR
43 Cylinder misfire OR
43 Problem in power module to logic module interface
yogi_123rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
CKFord
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1993 Grand Caravan 3.3L Code 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi_123rd
Your codes indicate a problem with the electric ignition system. Did you change your cam sensor?

43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time OR
43 Cylinder misfire OR
43 Problem in power module to logic module interface

I was told that a faulty cam sensor would throw a code 11, and since there is only the code 43 was told it didn't need replaced. Hmmmm...I wonder if the 43 is actually telling me in a roundabout way that it is the cam sensor. Well, since it is a cheap fix I will replace it, you are the second person today that mentioned the cam sensor. Thank you
Old 10-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Dayalalito
AF Newbie

HOPE THIS HELPS !!!

Fault Code 43 Synopsis Description: Ignition coil driver circuit open or shorted.
Power loss light: Off Limp-in mode: None
Possible Causes: Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections between the ignition coil and the power module (or SMEC). Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with dielectric grease and repair any shorts.
Ignition coil driver transistor failure - Replace the power module (or SMEC).
Ignition coil failure - Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance of the primary ignition coil between the two small stud on the top of the coil. It should measure about 0 ohms.
Trigger Parameters- Near 0V or near 12V not detected when the coil is turned on or off, respectively
Results If Component Fails :- Fault code 43 is stored and the engine will stall.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
caravandrvr
AF Regular

I'd check this before I'd change anymore parts out - although the cam sensor is a possibility as well since it wasn't in your list of replaced parts - but there are also speed sensors as well:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=419359
caravandrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:57 PM   #6
vamc
AF Enthusiast

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/computer2.htm

Take a look! I hope this works.
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
CKFord
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1993 Grand Caravan 3.3L Code 43

Well guys, I replaced the catalytic converter which was glowing red and I replaced the cam sensor. The van idles and runs fine for about 5 minutes, NEW catalytic converter glowing red, directly at the tail end of the cat. I should also mention I replaced a cracked head which I had assumed led to the cat failing. However, the NEW cat is glowing, muffler shop assures me the exhaust system is clear. Here is what I have done to this 1993 Grand Caravan 3.3L thus far in order (all based on obvious problems or codes) :

1: Forward Head & Gasket - Replaced - Mechanic

2: Crank Sensor Replaced - Mechanic

3: MAP sensor Replaced - Mechanic

4: Coil Pack Replaced - Mechanic

5: Spark Plugs Replaced - Mechanic

6: Spark Plug Wires Replaced - Myself

7: 4451768 Computer: Replaced - Mechanic (the one on the left (driver's) fender wall) << mechanic replaced this telling me it was the ECM, it is NOT it is the SBEC Fuel Injection System Computer...DOH I am tired of mechanics black boxing me to death.

8: Cam Sensor Replaced - Myself

9: Catalytic Converter Replaced - Muffler Shop

So....it runs GREAT for 3-5 minutes, decent idle, then after a few minuted starts to sputter, cough, gag, wheeze, and then dies. Always stalls at a stop. I was able to limp it home cutting in/out 35-50 mph and of course got out and checked the converter. Cat GLOWING...again. I have had several mechanics tell me that the first cat was bad, after replacing it and still glowing it has to be another ISSUE. Any clues?

I hear I could have a timing issue, possibly a jumped chain, but wouldn't it run like crap off the get go? 02 Sensor? Also, the cat replacement looks universal and smaller than the one that was replaced....problem? The saga continues...

Thanks guys....I promise to keep posting until this is resolved and I will return with a post once the van is 100%.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 PM   #8
vamc
AF Enthusiast

Glowing red?Damn..thats not correct. not even a viper can make a cat do that. hhmmm. the o2 sencer is ok, correct? maf sencer?hhhmmmm...is there a blockage somewhere in the vacume line possably, run some throttle body cleaner through there and see what happens. run a good can or btl of fuel injector cleaner through it with 93 or 94 oct at the same time. the hotter the engine the better so you can burn off any carbons that could have built up. Hopefully this will help.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
89ltd
AF Enthusiast

the o2 sensor sends voltage back to the computer to vary the fuel air mixture ranging from .1 volts to .9 volts depending on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. If the o2 sensor fails, the computer sets the voltage at a steady .5 volts approx. and the van will continue to run but may loose a little gas mileage or slight performance but it would never make it stall.
89ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #10
vamc
AF Enthusiast

A bad sencer could. i have seen one make a van stall. it may not be the 100% reason to make it stall, but certinly a contribute. If to rich, less fuel, it could make it stall. To less of fuel in cil, no fire.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:47 AM   #11
89ltd
AF Enthusiast

try unplugging your o2 sensor, you will see not much happens at all.
89ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #12
caravandrvr
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 1993 Grand Caravan 3.3L Code 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFord
"4451768 Computer: Replaced - Mechanic (the one on the left (driver's) fender wall) << mechanic replaced this telling me it was the ECM, it is NOT it is the SBEC Fuel Injection System Computer...DOH I am tired of mechanics black boxing me to death...."
Easy there, the p/n 4451768 SBEC is more commonly referred to as the ECM, at least where I'm at. I certainly wouldn't argue over those terms with my mechanic. I would however argue about changing that item with your symptoms without first checking your alternator as I mentioned before in this thread. Did you check your alternator?

caravandrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
vamc
AF Enthusiast

caravandrvr-portsmouth N.H. Im up there all the time. of a matter of fact, ill be up there in a few weeks. I love that ship yard over there. my father worked there a very long time ago. would you also beleve that my dad worked at the hospital that is next to there? He worked in the OR. I think that placed has been closed for approx 10 years or so, if not longer. There is a nice park over there with all the flowers are. i cant remember what the park is called. nice place. Our whole famil is from M.A.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager