Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
thrinko
AF Newbie

crank pulley bolt, no spark

1994 Bonneville SE. I can't get the crank pulley bolt loose. I know its left thread so I have to go clockwise. I've put my 18v lithium impact on it, got the ratchet held against the frame and cranked it over, and a big a** bar but could not stop motor from turning. Where do I stick the screw driver or whatever needed to get this thing loose?
The car lost its spark after being driven in heavy rain. I have checked all grounds that I am aware of. Under the ICM, and both on the floor by the doors. Then the car sat for a day and started right up and I drove it like nothing ever happened. The next day no spark again and it is still sitting. So I am going with the crank sensor that has been changed before if I could get the bolt out. I also reset the security system just in case that may have been it. All the main fuses are good. I cleaned the bottom of the ICM and reapplied electro grease to it.
Any suggestions please let me know.
Got everything done, it was the sensor. Although I had to drill the pulley and put bolts head first in then slide to the other edge of the slot and attach to the puller. Then it finally came off messing up the plates so the timing is a little off. But I am getting a new pulley to fix that problem.

Last edited by thrinko; 10-03-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Problem fixed
thrinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: crank pulley bolt, no spark

Welcome to AF. Std r/h thread, counterclockwise to remove!!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
jdl
AF Enthusiast

If you can't get anything on the end of the crank, to hold it, lock up the flywheel. Whatever tool you use, use a cheater on it so the cheater will hit the ground, in the correct direction. I've even hear of people bumping the starter to break that bolt loose,after you lock up the crank. You need to know what your doing. Be safe.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
thrinko
AF Newbie

Thanks, but I did finally get it. The bolt isn't left threaded as I was told by the GM dealers mechanic. I hit it with the impact and it came right off. Also, I do know what I'm doing. This engine just seems to have several surprises that most don't. Like now how do you get the pulley off? A slap hammer is my next try b/c no balance puller or pulley puller will work on this darn thing. What a horrible design here, obd2 connector but you need obd1 reader. What the hell!!!! This will be sold as soon as its running.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
thrinko
AF Newbie

How do you get the darn pulley off now? None of my pullers will work. I have a slap hammer on the way, but not sure if it will work.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Does the balancer have holes in it? For different issues, I've made my own pullers. They don't have to look great as long as it works.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
thrinko
AF Newbie

Yes it does. I am trying to do some improvising here to no avail.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
maxwedge
A990 racer

6mm bolts and a universal puller works, do not hit the balancer! Just did one in my shop.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
thrinko
AF Newbie

I ended up drilling it and sliding the bolts in head first and then sliding them down to where they were in the slot where I didn't drill. Then bolted the balancer remover to the bolts and got it off. But I messed up the harmonic balancer by doing so. I got it off and already have one to replace it, so all is well now. My first time working on the engine of this car since I have owned it. Its only at 118,110 miles and I just told my wife last week that its time this thing starts having problems.
I don't understand how car makers can be this dumb at times. This car isn't the worst I have done but this balancer and OBD 1.5 crap is close to the top that I have dealt with.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The balancer comes off easy with the right puller and bolts.....

There were quite a few GM models that did a I to II transition, where scanners/readers, could not read data....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
thrinko
AF Newbie

Yeah, This one had the threads for the bolts on the inside but they were stripped. I could not get any bolts started that would have worked with the balance puller. Its just a pain when they change small things on cars that become big problems later on. Things you think you already know and have done previously on other cars can be so dam dumb on others. But I now know and with the new harmonic balancer I put on I was able to get the correct bolts to pull it back off. Due to the part store giving me a balancer that will fit on but does not line up so I had to take it back off and order the correct one.
I thank everyone for their suggestions and help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville