Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
kpring
AF Newbie

read codes for 95 6cyl 4WD

I have an emissions test next week, the check engine light comes on occasionally and I want to see if a code is store on the ECM. Reading the instruction on how to read codes and I don't get it yet. I didn't run the truck for the 10 minutes prior to trying, but I had just done some errands so I'm sure the engine was still warm. According to the instructions, I turned the ignition to "on", turned the screw on the ECM all the way to the "diagnostic" spot. It did a .06 sec flash, then a .06 sec double flash, then a quick .03 sec triple flash, then a quick 4 flash and a quick 5 flash, Then it repeated the same sequence over and over, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, over and over.
A little history on what leads to the "intermittent" light. If I "lug" it ( I really don't lug it but the engine possibly senses that I'm lugging it) the light will come on, but if I "open" up the throttle somewhat, after about a half mile, the light turns off. Then it doesn't do it for a week or two. It started when I was plowing snow earlier this season. The exhaust system - If you follow it from the wye you have the catalytic converter, then a short section of pipe, then another piece that is expanded that I thought was another cat converter until I had to take it off because it cracked at the flange. After seeing that wasn't anything inside it I just put a straight piece of pipe to continue the system out to the muffler and so on. Is that expanded section really needed?
kpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
zanegrey
AF Regular

Re: read codes for 95 6cyl 4WD

those are all the modes ..u have to pick the diagnostic mode ..then count flashes
Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
kpring
AF Newbie

Tried doing this on my own because I do remember reading about checking different things in each of the 5 modes. But the Chiltons book mentions something about using a screw driver to turn a selector switch to 1 of 3 settings. I do see a slotted dial thatsays something to the effect of Idle settings and as you turn the dial that idle progresses to a higher setting. if you turn it fully clockwise though there is at the end a small section where it says "diagnosis". When I turn it to that point that is where the green and red lights start to flash.I'd like to get to Mode III which is where the fault codes are stored. How do I get to moe III. I don't see any selector switch.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
zanegrey
AF Regular

Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
kpring
AF Newbie

You da man! 1-4 Vehicle Speed Sensor
Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
kpring
AF Newbie

One more for you. The book says the 95's had a speedo cable, but if I found what I think is the vehicle speed sensor (at the tail shaft on the passenger side?) there is no cable, just wires. Like I said in my first post, the speedometer hasn't ever worked for me, once I get to 40mph, it does start bouncing around. but is not even close to reading the correct mph.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
zanegrey
AF Regular

95 has electronic speedo..
so clean and inspect wires and connections re apply di electric grease .
and look for wire fray..
Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Dean-o
AF Newbie

May need to replace speed sensor on side of trans. Mine had shaft inside trans. locked up & plastic gear on end of shaft had broken teeth . cost $200. for new speed sensor from dealer.
Dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups