Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
sg4tr4
AF Newbie

'91 4runner urgent question

Hi everyone. I have a '91 runner. I went to check the condition of the air filter recently. It was moderately dirty, so I vacuum cleaned it and put it back. While I was in that area of the truck I decided to check out the MAF sensor on top of the air intake unit. I had read that cleaning or replacing the sensor can greatly improve the performance of the truck. Since I was already in there, I wanted to see if it was an easy thing to remove. I unscrewed the two screws that looked like they held in the wire connection to the sensor. This very quickly became obviously NOT the right thing to do. A bunch of wires sprung out, which I quickly put back into place. I replaced the screws and let it be. BUT NOW THE TRUCK WONT START!! It cranks and catches for a second, but then dies. There's no problem with the ignition or battery power, or anything like that. Is there a way to reset the sensor? Did I totally screw it up by removing the piece mentioned? Am I going to need a whole new MAF sensor? This is my only vehicle, and I need to remedy this fast. ANY help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
sg4tr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
OzzyO
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to OzzyO Send a message via Yahoo to OzzyO
Re: '91 4runner urgent question

You can try the service manuals, there on each page marked Important maintence manuals is the 3rd one down the page.
A new sensor from napa is less than $200 , I can't remember the exact price.
Good Luck

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
4runner , maf , problem , sensor , starting
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470