Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Del Sol
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

Arrow '93 Del sol will not start at all now

I have a 1993 Honda Del sol SI VTEC, 71,000 miles, motor # D16Z6, distributor # TD-42U

My original distributor was stolen along with many, many other parts when my car was stolen and striped…that was a bad day. lol. After about 5 months of hard work it was back on the road.

My car was working fine for about a year and then at times it would not start. However after waiting 20 to 30 minutes it would start and run fine. This would only occur about once every 2 months. Since then it has progressively gotten worse (it would happen 2-4 times a month). Once in a great while the check engine light would come on and then the next time I used the car it would be off.
The last time it was running it did something a little different. It started and ran fine for a while and then it just died at a stop sign and wouldn’t start. After about 10 minutes it then started and ran fine all the way home. The next day however it would not start at all, and after waiting 30 minutes I tried again and later again, and still / now it will not start at all.

Car will not start.

No spark to plugs, wires, and off of distributor.

It is getting fuel.

Strong battery.

I checked all the fuses. All good.

I tried to get a code off the check engine light the way it says to on this website but the check engine light would come on and stay on when the key was either in the #2 and #3 (cranking) position.

I change the distributor with a 2nd hand one from eBay but still no spark and no start. I am pretty sure this 2nd hand distributor is also no good.

Can someone please tell me how to test the module in the distributor, the coil in the distributor and the wiring to the distributor? And also the range it should be within, and the volt /ohm / amp meter setting to test with.

The module has 4 connectors coming off of it (3 on the top & 1 on the side)

The coil has the +, -, & coil wire out of course.

The large wire connector has 7 wires:
1. yellow w/ green stripe------------goes to module in distributor
2. light blue w/ light green stripe-- goes to middle pick-up in distributor
3. peach w/ light blue stripe--------- goes to bottom pick-up in distributor
4. peach-------------------------------- goes to top pick-up in distributor
5. light blue w/ yellow stripe-------- goes to middle pick-up in distributor
6. white w/ blue stripe---------------- goes to bottom pick-up in distributor
7. white--------------------------------- goes to top pick-up in distributor

The small connector has 2 wires:
1. Black w/ yellow stripe------------- goes to module and +coil in distributor
2. blue----------------------------------- goes to goes to module in distributor

There is also a short wire from the module to the – coil.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Aloha!
93delsolzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Send a message via AIM to AudioGuy93DelSol
Re: '93 Del sol will not start at all now

Check these, see if that gets you going in the right direction. And don't make duplicate posts please.

"How many NASCAR passes is that worth? 500?" (Schumacher passing Raikkonen)

Emily is amazing, and she messed with my sig AGAIN!

AudioGuy93DelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

Smile Thanks for responding.

Thanks for responding. I will do as it says. Sorry for the double post I thought I posted in the wrong place, newbie. I know, newbies . lol.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

Arrow Would this difference in the primary winding resistance be enough to cause a no spark

I did the Igniter Unit Input test.

#3 BLK/YEL had battery voltage.

#4 WHT/BLU had battery voltage.

I also check the coil. The primary winding resistance was 1.3 ohms (just outside of the specs of 0.6 to 0.8 ohms, however the temperature of the coil was a little higher then the specs of 68 degrees (it was about 75 to 85 degrees). The secondary winding resistance was 16,940 ohms (which is within the specs of 13,200 to 19,800).

Would this difference in the primary winding resistance be enough to cause a no spark situation? And can a faulty Igniter Unit cause the coil to go bad?

I checked the wire WHT/BLU between the coil and the Igniter Unit and had battery voltage.

#5 YEL/GRN which changed colors, after a connector, to PINK, then went to the computer. Had continuity from YEL/GRN wire that goes into igniter to computer on the passenger side just right of foot area.
I think that was what was meant by PGM-FI ECU, but not sure.

#6 the BLU wire which also changed colors to RED/GRN also ran into the computer, also had continuity from BLU wire that goes into igniter to computer. How would I then trace it to the tachometer? Up to the tachometer gauge?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

ohm meter

I just checked my ohm meter and noticed that when I touch the 2 testing wires from the meter togeter it reads 00.5 ohms. Shold't this reading be 00.0 ohms?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #6
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Ok, it seems like everything is ok. The primary winding could be it though, and I know that when a coil heats up, its resistance decreases. So at 68 deg, it might even be a higher resistance. Did you compare specs for both distributers? If it is your coil, you could either get a new distributer or, I know autozone sells the MSD external coil and cap kit for like 40$. That just overrides the internal coil and uses the MSD one. I know people that have had coils die and use the MSD and it works great. As for the multimeter, you might have crappy leads, try touching them together, then turn it on to ohms. That may recalibrate it. Also, yes, the PGM-FI ecu is your computer.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

What is the best step by step on running the distributor wires to the new Blaster coi

My original distributor coil readings were: The primary winding resistance was 1.1 ohms (just outside of the specs of 0.6 to 0.8 ohms, the secondary winding resistance was 16,980 ohms (which is within the specs of 13,200 to 19,800). (Almost the same reading as the replacment distributor I got.)

(I tried a little experiment; I put the coil in my refrigerator to make it colder and took the readings again then put it out in the sun and took the readings again . There was very little difference in reading)

I just went and got a MSD SS Coil Blaster, and the the MSD Distributor Cap is on the way.

I forgot to ask the salesperson if the MSD Distributor Cap comes with the necessary wiring to wire the distributor to the new coil, because the coil didn't come with any wires.

The new MSD Blaster Coil readings were:The primary winding resistance was 0.8 ohms and the secondary winding resistance was 4,440 ohms.(which is out of the specs of 13,200 to 19,800)??? I did not hook it up to the car yet waiting for the cap.

Also, do you know of a good step by step on the best way to run / connect the distributor wires from the original coil out of the distributor and to the Blaster coil. I would like to make it the best way possible to avoid any shorts or problems.

Aloha!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

The MSD will have a different reading becuase it's a different coil. That's normal. I personally have never hooked up an MSD but I know it comes with the wire to connect the coil to the cap and there are two wires you have to run from the coil to inside the distributer. It comes with instructions though, so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it went once I receive my new cap and install it.

One other question...Can a bad/faulty ignitor cause a coil to go bad? I'm a little concerned about this new MSD coil geting messed up. Your thoughts will be appreciated

Aloha!
Old 08-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Nah, your MSD will be ok.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

Arrow Still will not start after new MSD cap & MSD coil

Hi,
Well I installed my new MSD cap & MSD coil but my car still will not start. I followed al the directions and rechecked my work.

No spark to plugs, wire, or from the new coil wire.

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Possibly the igniter. I think at this point your best option is to get a new distributer. You can either keep the MSD becuase it does help your ignition system, or you can try to return it.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

Today I was going over a few more checks.

I checked the main relay, and all the checks were ok.

I pulled a plug again checking for spark. Still no spark but I did not smell any fuel this time after cranking for some time. The first time I checked (the day after I drove it home) I could smell fuel when I pulled a plug.

After realizing I may have more then one problem. I then wanted to check the fuel pump. I turned ignition on and I hear nothing coming from the fuel pump. Then I checked to see if I was getting voltage with ignition on to the fuel pump. And NO, I was not getting any voltage. I did have a good ground from - wire to body ground. I then checked the + wire from the fuel pump to the main relay, wire was ok; had continuity, but when I checked it for voltage, I had NO voltage. I then checked the wire to the #1 slot on the main relay for voltage. It did have voltage. I can hear and feel the main relay operating when I turn the key to the on position.

This is how I checked the main relay.
Main Relay Test:
NOTE: If the car starts and continues to run, the main relay is okay.
  1. Remove the main relay.
  2. Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 4 terminal and the battery negative terminal to the No. 8 terminal of the main relay. Then check for continuity between the No. 5 terminal and No. 7 terminal of the main relay.
    • If there is continuity, go on to step 3.
    • If there is no continuity, replace the relay and retest.
  3. Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 5 terminal and the battery negative terminal to the No. 2 terminal of the main relay. Then check that there is continuity between the No. 1 terminal and No. 3 terminal of the main relay.
    • If there is continuity, go on to step 4.
  4. Attach the battery positive terminal to the No. 3 terminal and battery negative terminal to the No. 8 terminal of the main relay. Then check that there is continuity between the No. 5 terminal and No. 7 terminal of the main relay.
    • If there is continuity, the relay is OK; If the fuel pump still does not work, go to Harness Test.
The only differance I did is, since my car didn't have the No. 4 terminal, but my car had a No. 6 terminal, I tested it by substituting the No. 4 terminal with my No. 6 terminal.

Not sure why mine is different.

I forgot to put the main relay back in before I cranked the car over, funny thing is that it cranked over (of course it didn't start). The starter must be on its own circut.

Is there a way to better test the main relay, and also test the ECU?

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

Aloha!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Check your under-hood fuse box and see if the big IG (50A) fuse is blown.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #15
93delsolzz
AF Newbie

Hi,
Yes the big IG (50A) fuse is good. I rechecked and rechecked all the fuses under the hood and the fuses in the fuse box below the steering wheel hoping it would be that simple.

I bought a new main relay and put it in today but still not starting, no spark and no power to fuel pump. That wasn't it.

I do get power to the injectors.

I tested the fuel pump by hooking it straight up to the battery for a few seconds to see if it would make any noise. It didn't make a thumping noise like normal, but it did make a steady type of noise as if an electric motor was running and seem to work.

The wire is good from the fuel pump to the main relay, but I'm not getting power off of the #7 connector of the relay (with relay connected) and the key in the ON position.

Aloha!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Del Sol