Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 08:33 AM   #1
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
Question Anyone's Nismo torsion bars settling a bit?

i have noticed what looks like the front of my truck being a bit lower than it was before ECXC last weekend. i was wondering if torsion bars settle a bit, or have they already begun to sag? i am hoping for the former and not the later. i am going to have to reindex one side of them this weekend in order to adjust them up anymore anyhow. (i indexed one side incorrectly when installing them)

anyone else seeing this. i am wonering if i did something wrong when i installed them. i guess i will know more this weekend.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 03:21 PM   #2
Aquamander
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aquamander Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamander
Unhappy Ut-oh!

Damn that's scary. Did you get a measurement when you finished the install? If so, let us know what the difference is. I think that there's a good chance that they are just drooping...like you said they may have settled a little. NisMos are supposed to be high performance. They use them for racing and stuff, I sure hope they aren't prone to bending.
Aquamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 08:05 AM   #3
Synchro
AF Regular

getting nervous here. they've settled maybe .5 or more inches. god i hope that is within spec. i cranked them back up last night, but probably need to crank some more.

what scares me the most is since i had so many problems with the install, and took the bar in and out so many times, i cannot remember whether the letter are int he back anchor as they are supposed to or in teh front ones. dammit dammit son of a bitch!!!

if anyone with an ARB and winch installed with these can tell me if they are having the same problems or not and put my mind at ease, that would be nice. otherwise, i think i am going to pull the bars to make sure that i have them in there correctly. if i don't, then i am afraid i am going to have to order a new set as the ones i have will be shot from being turned the wrong direction. <sigh> god i HATE torsion bars!!!!!! i feel like such a moron.
Old 06-04-2001, 12:27 PM   #4
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

can you help the brother out???

Hello? Anyone?
I thought I'd increase this thread activity a bit to help in some small way in getting a response for Synchro.
Actually, I'm planning on installing these torsion bars, too, so I have a small personal interest here as well...

Synchro, now that you mention your concern over having the torsion bars oriented correctly, I thought I'd point out a slight ambiguity in Schlud's install procedure; here's a quote from the procedure:
"Each end will be stamped with a L and an R denoting which side the bar should be installed on. Right and Left are relative to FACING THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE [bold mine]. On the Nissan Motorsports bars the stamps are on the front of each bar (so the R should be installed on the passenger side with the stamp on the front wheel side of the bar."

If "facing the front of the vehicle" means standing outside of and in front of the car, then the RIGHT side is the driver side; however, Schlud mentions that the R-stamped t-bar goes in the passenger side.
If "facing the front of the vehicle" means from sitting inside the car, then there is no ambiguity. I kind of assumed that literature that comes with the t-bars would clear this up but I'm not sure as I haven't received mine yet. Well, just thought I'd bring this up in case I'm not the only one wondering & I hope this post doesn't divert any attention from Synchro's crisis.
Good luck Synchro & hopefully someone can shed some light here.

xterrabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 12:45 PM   #5
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I'll have to dig up the instructions that came with the bars to double check, but as I remember it, the right bar goes on the passenger side.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 01:15 PM   #6
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

I hate when auto parts are labled right and left...is it so hard to say passenger and drivers side? I know this would be confusing with an item used on right hand drive models as well but these aren't. From any part i have had that says right or left, left meant the drivers side.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 08:39 PM   #7
Kennedy
AF Regular

Relax

Kirk, relax...
I am sure we put those T-bars in right. At worst, your rear drivers side hanger is a little dented. But I am sure we put the right bars in the right way. We checked and double checked.

Some settling has to be natural. I bet you have to adjust at least one more time before all is done.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 11:17 PM   #8
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

Okay, now I'm a little nervous...

I just got my NisMo t-bars today & opened 'em up for inspection.
The one stamped with the letter "L" also has 3 letter "Rs" stamped on top of each other with different orientations (sideways & upside down) such that it looks like a mess until you look closer & you can see that it's 3 superimposed letter "Rs". WTF? did someone get happy with the (wrong) stamp machine or whatever they use to mark it?
I'm almost sure this is a case of QC doing its job but I'm also still a bit nervous about it.
Also, both t-bars are stamped with "1447" and "1000". Does anyone recall if this is correct? (i.e., should the left and right t-bars have *slightly* different digits stamped on them?).
Well, I'm gonna print Schlud's how-to and scope underneath my truck & get familiar with it all so that I can hopefully get the job done tomorrow or wednesday evening....
Thanks.
xterrabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 12:38 PM   #9
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

I haven't had any problems at all since installing mine Kirk. I'm quite sure you won't have to buy a new set, that would be nuts.

Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 01:02 PM   #10
Synchro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER
I hate when auto parts are labled right and left...is it so hard to say passenger and drivers side? I know this would be confusing with an item used on right hand drive models as well but these aren't. From any part i have had that says right or left, left meant the drivers side.
if you ship the parts to australia then it would be different no? that's probably why.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:10 PM   #11
Aquamander
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aquamander Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamander
Wink Whoa!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro

dammit dammit son of a bitch!!!
Damn Synchro, I guess we should file that under "expressions to indicate that the install isn't going as well as planned".

Seriously, I hope things workout okay for you.

It's times like these I need a little quiet "meditation"

:bonghitte

Aquamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 08:12 PM   #12
Synchro
AF Regular

yeah me too. i guess i will find out on my way down to the plant tour and tellico on thursday. <sigh>
Old 06-22-2001, 12:15 PM   #13
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Okay well my t-bars have sagged a bit since installing them (between 1/2 and 1 inch) - I'm going to adjust them a little more this weekend. Just updating ...
Old 06-22-2001, 01:07 PM   #14
Synchro
AF Regular

since adjusting mine last time after noticing them sag, mine have not moved. even after abusing them at Tellico. so all is good for me too.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:27 AM   #15
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Not that anyone cares, but my torsion bars DID NOT sag at all ... the air pressure in my front tires was WAY down ... like down to 20 - 22 psi. So I aired back up and bing, everything is back to normal. Duh.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail