Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #121
Capri-Schorsch
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

Your work is really an inspiration for me.

Every step is very elaborate and your finish is very smooth,even at the smallest detail.

Christian

Resin Kits and Parts for sale ! New Updates on my website.

Capri-Schorsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #122
John18d
AF Enthusiast

SB - each installment of this thread just amazes me more and more - you are truly a craftsman at what you do and display in the forum - your fiberglass work is really good - among the other awesome skills you have shown here such as your engine building and chassis work

John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #123
rgriffs
AF Regular

just amazing work.
rgriffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #124
stump
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to stump

Quote:
Today, 06:13 AM by ScratchBuilt
...So yes, I'm feeling quite pleased tonight!
And so you should SB.
This is looking so fantastic and shaping up to be a true masterpiece..You ROCK mate!
So pleased it is coming together as you envisioned, and I'm sure any small heart stopping moments will be just that...short.

Currant builds...
1:12 Datsun Z432R
1:12 Datsun OS-Giken
stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #125
f40
AF Newbie

You have amazing Skills .Just a pleasure to see this unfold.. Hats off to you.
f40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #126
Greg23
AF Enthusiast

Noticed some books on Mars in the bookcase. Anything you'd like to tell us?
Greg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #127
MarcoSaupe
AF Regular

Amazing work on each part of the model!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #128
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again,

I decided that rather than wait until Sunday for my next update, I'd do it tonight - I know I'm not going to get any meaningful modelling done this evening, whereas on Sunday I might be on a roll...

So, time to bite the bullet and trim some more out of the topshell - with the rear quarterlights removed, I could get better access to the wing panels. First a (very) rough-cut:

I've left a small section in place to give the side a little support, and you can see where I've started to mark out the positioning for the pillar. With a bit more trimming and fettling, I had this:

...oh yes, and the rear window was removed, too! I CA'd some 3mm x 0.75mm styrene strip to the inside of the shell beforehand to give it some strength - you can see how thin the fibreglass is behind the rear quaterlight cut-out.

The rear edge has been extended with styrene to create the lip where the engine cover will sit - I'd considered doing this as another small fibreglass moulding, but decided it wasn't worth the effort (or the delay). Once it's all filled and primered, I don't see it being a problem - especially as it will all be hidden below the extra rear bodywork added later.

My current job is to continue adding to the lip around the rear window:

I'll build it up with layers of styrene strip, then give the fibreglass edge a final trim to get it in shape. Across the upper edge you can see an inset piece which will give me the series of small vents which were a feature on these older 911's. I simply cut eleven 2mm lengths of channel section and glued them end-to-end. So, we'll see how far I get with it this weekend...

Most of last weekend was spent down at Thruxton circuit, for the final two rounds of our FF2000 championship. I know I've mentioned this before, but I always feel guilty that I don't post many photos of my racing activities - until today!

First, here's the Van Diemen RF82 FF2000 I've been looking after for the last couple of years:

Mmmmm...new tyres! This was first-thing in the morning before we went out for qualifying, so the car is looking clean and tidy. Here's the grid in the collecting area before going out on track:

We had 23 cars out for this meeting, which was good going for us - our normal grids this year have been somewhat less! For those of you not familiar with UK circuits, Thruxton is a quick place - lots of fast sweeping corners, with only a chicane and a small 'complex' to break things up. As they don't have much testing available, it's one of those places where experience counts for a lot!

Here's the collecting area afterwards:

Fortunately our three cars survived the day in one piece, and two of our drivers took three trophies between them - so it was a good way to finish the season. Next year, I really must take more photos...

Before I go, a couple of follow-ups from recent posts: Greg23 - yes, there's a few Mars reference books on the shelves, but it's nothing unusual, honest! I've had a casual interest since reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars books a few years ago (which also resulted in a few books on Antarctica on the shelves, too...) and it's remarkable that we're now driving those rovers around out there!

To Howarddrive - ready in 2014? Maybe the Porsche factory LMP1 will be...but I suspect it'll probably be early 2015 for the Moby Dick, to be honest! I know from the 908 that even though I had 95% of the components made at the start of 2011, it took all year to get everything painted and assembled. From where I am now, I know I won't have this amount of parts ready by the end of next year, so completion in 2014 is unlikely...

That's it for tonight - have a good week, everyone.

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #129
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Nice post; it's certainly a complicated beast compared to the 908!

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #130
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hi Ian,

'Complicated' sums it up neatly. Everything is taking so much longer as I'm having to spend more time convincing myself that what I'm doing is going to work! Plus, I'm basically having to design so much of it myself as there are no drawings, and there's also the problem of making it 'buildable' -I've got to be able to paint and assemble this thing...

Rather you than me with the 1:43 917's, though - that's a challenge I won't be taking any time soon! The PA is an unusual choice - how about doing a stretched version with the prototype flat-16 engine?! Looking forward to seeing how the LH turns out, too.

Cheers!

SB
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #131
puffyrs
AF Regular

looking good SB, you will get there.
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #132
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Sunday night again...

Picking up where I (sort of) left off, I continued to add layers of thin styrene strip around the inner edge of the rear window:

This ended up as a 3mm-deep border around the edge, but would also need to have a return added. My original plan for this was to cut the return from a sheet of 0.5mm styrene, but this could wait until later...

I wanted to start adding some structure to the rear of the body; the corner area between the rear side windows and the main rear window had to be filled somehow - but whatever was used was effectively going to be the inner surface of the shell. Hmmm...this is what I ended up with:

Remember that later on I'll be adding an extra rear body section over the top of this shell, complete with air inlets positioned behind the rear side windows: just where I've left a nice big empty space! I'll add some reinforcement on both sides of the fibreglass, as right now it's all just CA'd together.

I'd been thinking of tackling the rear parcel-shelf area for some time, and decided to give it a go. Plan A was to make it as a fibreglass moulding, but I didn't think I would be able to get the crisp detailing the part required. So, Plan B was a mixture of plain fibreglass sheet for the basic structure, with styrene additions. Firstly, I made a cardboard pattern:

...then I marked and trimmed out the detailing layer from 1mm styrene: even making this was an evening's work!

The cardboard pattern was replicated using plain fibreglass sheet, and was trimmed to fit inside the shell where I'd added the corner reinforcements mentioned earlier. You'll notice that I've also added two small diagonal tubes to the rearmost section of the chassis, over the engine bay - these pass through the parcelshelf, so I would have to trim the panel to fit around them:

The final job for this week was to add the return to the window edge. After trimming out a panel from styrene sheet I decided it just didn't look right - and the extra thickness didn't help as the body was a snug fit on the frame anyway. So, the alternative was to glue two more layers of strip around the inside of the edge, both 0.5 x 0.5mm; fiddly, but worth the effort:

My attention is now directed to the front of the shell - I want to start reinforcing the the A-pillars and surround so I can start trimming out the window area. Then I've got to sort out the intersection between all the panels around the base of the windscreen, and start joining it all together...could be fun!

More next week,

SB
The Following User Says Thank You to ScratchBuilt For This Useful Post:
JesusM (10-29-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #133
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

outstanding job !!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #134
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

It's looking great SB. That's a huge amount of work you've put in there already!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #135
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Super work SB - the window framing is un-believable attention to detail

Have you ever considered building a "real" one of these - LOL

Your scale replicas are just amazing - and your skills continue to amaze

John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote