Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Empresive
AF Newbie

Can anyone help me out

Hello long story short, I'm trying to help my dad with his 1997 mustang and well it died on day and I was told it would only start when it cooled down and then told about the tfi well anyway he took it to a backyard mechanic who ended up putting a used fuel pump in and with a used camshaft synchronizer and now the car runs but after my dad tested it he said it would miss getting on the highway after driving 200 miles and he won't listen to me after doing research cause he thinks it's because of the tfi but after I did some reading learned it didn't even have a tfi in it and now he is wanting to replace the computer and some other module that's in the left passenger fender and anyway after he looked and saw the fuel pump and camshaft the mechanic got at the junk yard. My question is does the whole it missing as he getting on the high way he now puts it as lack of power during accelerating and I'm thinking that the fuel pump and camshaft should be replace with new parts and not ones from a junk yard he still thinks it's the computer and some other module starts with constant but not Sure what the rest of the name for it was. Anyone could give me awnsers to what it could be that's causing the it to miss while accelerating but it don't happen everytime the car still runs and everything with no problems.
Empresive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Can anyone help me out

I'd start with the simple plugs, wires, etc. I've had cars run perfect under normal driving conditions but miss under load and found issues with the ignition system.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

I had a crack in the ignition module on a 96. When the engine got warm to hot, the crack would expand and it would miss until it would get so bad it wouldn't run. It would have to get fully cold again before it would restart and I would have to rush to get to my destination before it got hot again. The crack was only visible after taking it off and I had to put on a pair of 4X magnifying glasses to see it. But that is only one of many possible causes, stealth already listed a few.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
Empresive
AF Newbie

Sigh... this is turning out more complex then I thought. From my understanding the ignition module is integrated with the EEC OR ECM and that it's a EDIS and not a tfi module so wouldn't know where tommlook for cracks I was figuring it would be fuel pump or camshaft synchronizer.
Empresive is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance