Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Cmcooper1031
AF Newbie

98 Mustang 3.8 odometer problem

I have a 98 Ford Mustang auto with the 3.8L and my oddometer stopped working a while back after i had the gas tank replaced. I am getting ready to sell the car to get somethinh more suitable for 2 car seats and i want to fix this problem (if possible).
Cmcooper1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: 98 Mustang 3.8 odometer problem

In 98 it was still a mechanical odometer. The most common is inside the odometer. The little plastic gears get some wear and splinter off parts that jam it up. Taking apart, cleaning and a small amount of 3 in 1 oil to lube has usually taken care of the problem for me. More rare but also a problem is the cable can break. To check this you disconnect both ends and check how it turns. Then the last possibility is the gear on the end of the cable that goes into the transmission is no longer attached to the cable and is spinning around on it or the teeth on it have worn away and it doesn't engage into the transmission.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis