Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
paradoxx
AF Newbie

89 C1500 Extreme high mileage oil question.

Straight to business,
I am a proud owner of a 89 C1500 Cheyenne, 305 chevy engine with roughly about 430,000 miles, runs perfect never been rebuilt, about the only thing it's ever had done to it is the valve guides since it's been in the family but i stray from my question.

It smokes blue a little here and there and I'm due for an oil change soon anyway,

Somebody told me that switching from Pennzoil to Castrol would stop the smoking and slight oil useing that it does and improve engine performance, i was wondering if there was any truth to that.
paradoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 89 C1500 Extreme high mileage oil question.

Oil burning is related to the mechanical condition of your engine, such as worn piston rings and /or cylinder walls, old valve seals etc. It is not related to the brand of oil you use.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 89 C1500 Extreme high mileage oil question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxx View Post
Straight to business,
I am a proud owner of a 89 C1500 Cheyenne, 305 chevy engine with roughly about 430,000 miles, runs perfect never been rebuilt, about the only thing it's ever had done to it is the valve guides since it's been in the family but i stray from my question.

It smokes blue a little here and there and I'm due for an oil change soon anyway,

Somebody told me that switching from Pennzoil to Castrol would stop the smoking and slight oil useing that it does and improve engine performance, i was wondering if there was any truth to that.
with the mileage on your engine the oil burning is normal. use of both those oils will not change how it burns oil. years ago I used both those oil products [regular petrol oil] . replacing the oil every 3500mi and using good quality filters [not fram] will keep this working good.

the PCV needs replacing every 40,ooomi. the valve wears out and causes oil burning as well.

smoking on start up is the valve guides. not the valve seals in most cases. these engines new had poorly machined valve guides. with the heads machined this can be corrected. the main bearings get worn. then the oil heats up causing excess vapors . these get injected by the crankcase vent system into the intake of engine. check if you have this problem . see if the crankcase has excess pressure. place a piece of paper over the oil fill hole to see if you have a slight vacuum in the engine. vacuum is good ..pressure in the crankcase is the pcv/hoses ..

if you can go 3000mi on a qt of oil at this mileage that is very good.

my 1983 went 380,ooomi before I sold it and oil used was castrol 10-30wt . with ac delco filters. used 1/2qt at the oil change. never had any work done to it .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote