Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
arthur.neilson@nei
AF Newbie

1966 mgb

I am in the process of restoring a 1966 MGB convertable. Have rebuilt the head and transmission. Starting on brakes. I note there appears to be two different master cylinder repair kits and and indication that one type has some kind of ring grooves. I have looked at the MC on the car and pulled the piston but it does not appear to be anything like types described. Also have not been able to find tach connections which I assume is mechcanical. I am a bit large to fit underneath the dash to look at rear of tach nor do I see a connection on the transmission. Any help appreciated
arthur.neilson@nei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
carbuddy
AF Newbie

Re: 1966 mgb

The mc kit with "ring grooves" is for a tandem mc, a snap ring goes in the groove to prevent piston over-travel. If the tach is mechanical type it would have a cable drive off the side of the distributor to rear of tach. But I think that year was a 12v tach? if so then it picks-up current from the neg. side of coil i beleive a white wire w/black tracer. hopfully i helped
carbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
paul J
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuddy View Post
If the tach is mechanical type it would have a cable drive off the side of the distributor to rear of tach. But I think that year was a 12v tach? if so then it picks-up current from the neg. side of coil i beleive a white wire w/black tracer. hopfully i helped
Mechanical tachs were on all 3 main engines and used up until late 1964. After that, all were electronic! Hope this helps. PJ
paul J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
paul J
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul J View Post
Mechanical tachs were on all 3 main engines and used up until late 1964. After that, all were electronic! Hope this helps. PJ
I forgot to mention that the tach drive was off of the back of the cam, not the distributor. In late 64 the 5 main engine was developed for the 1965 model and the electronic tach drive was born on MGs. PJ
paul J is offline   Reply With Quote