Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #16
adam9090
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to adam9090 Send a message via Yahoo to adam9090
Re: Rotary in an MGB, or other possibilities

You can put a supercharger that will bolt right no if you are looking for more power or you could do an engine swap. An inline V6 isn't gonna fit too easily if at all, look at the MGC. I used a 60 degree v6 which worked out great and I've also seen the 90 degree v6's going in these cars. the rover/buick/olds aluminum v8 will fit many people have done it but it is a harder fit and not as much power as the v6's. any 4cylinder will fit and i've seen some nice ones with turbos like a ford 2.3 turbo. 302s will fit i've seen a few people doing that. go to http://www.mgbexperience.com/phorum/list.php?f=40 for a great v6/v6 mgb forum
Old 10-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #17
Great-King-Rat
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Great-King-Rat
I agree with what denny411 said...if its my car and I dont like it...Ill change it. I have a '73 MGB convertible and would like to take the 4 banger out and rebuild it and replace it with a low power V-8...maybe 3.4 liter or something and add a dual sports exhaust and and try and take on a Cobra effect. Ive done nothing yet...just a thought.
Great-King-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #18
irnwoodyhead
AF Newbie

I' stuffing a 2TC 1600 cc into my GT. It's in and the motor mounts have been built. It's got the 2 weber doce40's mounted. I'm working on the header now. When I close the hood,(if it fits over this engine) no one will know that the engine was replaced.
irnwoodyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #19
irnwoodyhead
AF Newbie

I' stuffing a 2TC 1600 cc into my GT. It's in and the motor mounts have been built. It's got the 2 weber doce40's mounted. I'm working on the header now. When I close the hood,(if it fits over this engine) no one will know that the engine was replaced.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:18 PM   #20
irnwoodyhead
AF Newbie

I have a 1974 getting a 2TC. Its in and the 2 weber dcoe40's are on I'm working on the header right now.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #21
paul J
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentBlue
I'm sure this has been done, but would you consider it a bastardization of an MGB?

I'm seriously considering buying an MGBGT as a project/race car and of course the stock 4 banger has to go, I'm looking into other possibilities for motivational power.

I'm a VW guy and in VW circles its considered sacrilige to put anything other than a VW engine in your VW. Now I know the lines between makes of the british cars are a little fuzzy, and when it comes to swaps the lines are often trampled on, but would a rotary, or a BMW I4 or 6 be out of line?

what other engines out there are good for this swap (Don't really want to do a V8, I want something quick and nimble with enough power to make those fart can hondas feel silly)
MGA Rotary, why not a "B"?

paul J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #22
Tayyab
AF Newbie

Hi, This post of yours is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
UAE & Dubai Real Estate & Property Portal |http://www.activetrader-links.com] Online Stock Trading & Investment Directory [/url]|http://www.asportsdirectory.com/] Sports Wholesalers & Suppliers Directory[/url]|Something Directory
Tayyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #23
paul J
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayyab
Hi, This post of yours is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
The problem that your most likely to run into is, not many, if any, MGBs have been converted to a rotory engine and to get the specs that your probably looking for are more than likley non existant. I've never heard of that MGB conversion. Your probably going to have to tread in uncharted waters if your so inclined. I doubt if you could use MGA specs. MGAs and MGBs are two different animals.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #24
olbear
AF Newbie

I put a Ford sohc 2.3L in my 1976 MGB roadster with a 5 speed behind it. It fits using the unmodified MGB driveshaft. The engine barely clears the steering rack in front and the stock firewall at the rear. Currently it is carbureted with a Racer Walsh cam and a few thousandths off the head.
The hood closes (barely) with no scoop - its a sleeper. There is room to add a turbo in the future if more hp is needed. It is a reliable, FUN CAR on the Colorado mountain roads.
olbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #25
paul J
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul J
The problem that your most likely to run into is, not many, if any, MGBs have been converted to a rotory engine and to get the specs that your probably looking for are more than likley non existant. I've never heard of that MGB conversion. Your probably going to have to tread in uncharted waters if your so inclined. I doubt if you could use MGA specs. MGAs and MGBs are two different animals.
FOUND ONE! Old issue, but I thought I'd up date it a little. Here's a
rare 100 hp conversion of a 1975 MGB to Rotary power. The only one that I know of. The cars a mess and the wiring looks like something out of a spaghetti factory, but it shows the conversion can be done. Click on link. MGB with Mazda Rotary

Last edited by paul J; 09-06-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
Thion84
AF Newbie

denny411 me and my dad are working on a 1975 mgb and have a 3.8 out of a 1995 oldsmoblie lss we read your post about putting the same motor in a mg and were just wanting to see if you know of any websites that we could check out about doing the swap thanks
Thion84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB