Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
CalMar
AF Newbie

'95 Pathfinder Fuel Odor PROBLEM :(

My 1995 Pathfinder has developed a fuel odor problem from the rear of the car, No it's not a leaking fuel tank or leaking anything... It, some what go's away as fuel is used up, It's worst just after filling the car. Any ideas??
CalMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
mowerboy
AF Newbie

Re: '95 Pathfinder Fuel Odor PROBLEM :(

I had the same probelm. The garage said it was the Fuel sender above the gas tank. It cost $502.00 inc tax cdn to get replaced. They said that my tank was fine but some tanks have to be replaced when changing the sender. Good Luck
mowerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
jindo
AF Newbie

I would maybe repalce your gas cap first.

I have a 94 and I ahve smell gas while in the garage - its usally after a HOT day and when the tank is fairly full.

I open the cap and let the pressure out.
jindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
CaptDC
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMar
My 1995 Pathfinder has developed a fuel odor problem from the rear of the car, No it's not a leaking fuel tank or leaking anything... It, some what go's away as fuel is used up, It's worst just after filling the car. Any ideas??
This was my solution for identical problem. Drop protector plate under the fuel tank, and you will probably see what appears to be a spot that is dark & greasy dirt on the bottom of the tank. Clean it down to the shiny metal and inspect closely. You may find two or more small circles in a row. These I believe are the rivets that anchor the gas tank baffles, or some other bracket in the tank. You may notice that one or more of them seem to weep - not drip - moisture (fuel). Does not seem like much, but as I found out, it was the source of the heavy fuel smell.

Before investing in a new tank, I purchased a fiberglass repair kit for fuel tanks from the hardware store. You will have to also purchase a moisture proof epoxy product to stop the weeping prior to using the repair kit (I used a product called "Waterweld" from the same hardware store - comes in a small tube for a couple of dollars). Once this has hardened and the weeping has stopped, apply the fibrergalss repair according to instructions. I applied two kits over two consecutive days over all of the rivets whether they were weeping or not just to be on the safe side. Did this a year ago, and have had no problems since.

Good luck.
CaptDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
micahjan
AF Newbie

This post helped me solve my problem as described, it is fairly easy to epoxy the weeping hole.
micahjan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail