Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
kevinb70
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to kevinb70 Send a message via Yahoo to kevinb70
P0420 Cat efficiency

1998 3.1 @ 208k

Code P0420 cat efficiency. No issues at all since working on it back then in 2010, except for a 440 gas cap is loose code a time or two.

22k miles since this top end rebuild: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=977985 (heads/intake cleaned at machine shop including valve job, had injectors rebuilt via Mr Injector. Replaced egr, plugs & wires, tstat, magnaflow cat, steel LIM gasket)

Got the code over a week ago, reset SES and did replace downstream O2 - though my thoughts were on that Magnaflow cat.
Been waiting the past few days to see if the code came back once I completed enough drive cycles... sure enough it's back.

Runs smooth and quiet as if it were new.
Coolant temps OK.
Battery 12.6V/charging 14.0V.
Vacuum 19" at idle, returns to 19" quickly after revving engine (cat not blocked)
Fuel pressure: key on - 42psi, idle 38psi, doesn't drop significantly when revving the engine
Not losing any oil (synthetic) or coolant.
Chevron/Texaco 87 gas only.
Air filter is clean and dry.

Cat temps:
Pulling over after driving a 45mph, and immediately checking cat temps: 290F/375F.
Idling for 5 minutes after a drive, pre-cat temp just under 300F, post-cat temp just under 400F (100 degree difference).

Drive like granny and get 24.5mpg mostly 45-55mph and don't get into much rush hour slowdown. Doesn't look like MPG has gone down any in the period it took the first and second SES to light up.

Using Bosch O2 sensors (both up/down).

My thoughts are the efficiency of the (48 state) Magnaflow has declined a little bit and not good enough for the CPU. Or just not getting the temps to fully light up - although I'm sure when driving the temps are quite a bit higher

-Haven't checked plugs - (think they are A/C delco) but I think they'll be clean as I'm not misfiring and still have great mpg. But fouling would suggest the cat is fouled despite the temperature differential is at 100 degrees) However - the O2 sensor I pulled only has very slight white residue.
-Exhaust was reinstalled in 2010 nice and snug... not suspecting an exhaust leak.

Thinking:
-Replace both O2 with non-Bosch sensors (suggestions on brand?)
or
-Replace Magnaflow with new non-Magnaflow (looking at rockauto: Eastern Catalytic's Eco GM, CATCO, BOSAL - favoring the Eco GM)

Thoughts? Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat.jpg (16.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg old_o2.jpg (23.5 KB, 2 views)
2014 Toyota Prius Four
kevinb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: P0420 Cat efficiency

Best way to determine if it is the cat, is to plot the pre and post O2 sensors on a scan tool.....if they mirror each other, the cat is bad....

You are correct....non GM cats tend to fail early......

It always amazes me, when I see a car come in, and in place of a huge GM cat, is a minny version of it......just a matter of time....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
jimbob0077
AF Newbie

Re: P0420 Cat efficiency

You did a great job analyzing this problem. However sometimes it’s just cost effective, to take it to someone that has the $10K scan tool that can graph the O2 sensors, and tell you which part to spend the money on.
jimbob0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
catalytic , converter , magnaflow , p0420
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina