Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #136
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Chopper 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketje View Post
What did you buy ????
Speed meter, some rivets, shrink tube, a set of Scale Motorsport bolt heads, stripe decal and some epoxy putty for this build and some minor stuff for the future :-) A far away future probably :-)
joelwideqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #137
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I'm moving like the train here, try to keep up ;-)

Decided to complete the rear wheel so that I can make the frame mount with the wheel fitted to the swing.

As I took the hub and spokes from a gp rim I had to cut back the excess material. Mounted the rim onto a drill bit and held it against an abrasive paper

Looks quite good with the new spokes!

One side of the rim hub aligned perfectly against the swing but I cut back the other side. I will fill the have to insert some tube into the hub to narrow it down a bit. Will try and get hold of an axel set from T2M or Top Studio. Even though the tyre is 25 mm wide it will work as the swing is single sided.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #138
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Swing arm needs to be strengthened and I started putting pieces of styrene top and bottom. Back side is I lost the natural weld lines from where the pieces of rectangular rod were glued but I think the construction should have been too weak.

As the secondary drive has to move ouside of the frame. I have to rework the engine block and widen the part where the primary drive is situated. Thought of doing it in epoxy putty but then decided it's best that I align some rod first to get it all lined up properly. I can the fill the voids with putty and shape the part.

Last edited by joelwideqvist; 02-22-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #139
ChristopheB
AF Enthusiast

Nice progress.

ChristopheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:02 AM   #140
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Can't shake the idea/tip about a chin spoiler off.
Tried a few ideas on the drawing board but havn't found the right feeling.
Mostly it's because the frame configuration with two tubes that joins at the crown.

Somehow I will have to rework this section. I think I'll cut the frame sections and join them at a lower point, adding a single tube from the joint to the crown.
More like something like this

That way I can use the smaller triangular frame area to mount a chin spoiler.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:42 AM   #141
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Slowly I've started realizing that an hour of modelling per week is better than none. This particular build will probably last forever but it's relly funny doing something unique.

Have had many thoughts on how to mount the rear fender. With a loose mount I had trouble dry fitting it together with the swing and frame. Finally I decided to integrate it with the swing. That way I can have better control of any warping or bad fit. Just like the tank I widened the fender by cutting the kit part in halves and glueing stripes of styrene on the inside and then filling the gap with milliput. I had to cut a hole from the side of the fender to slide the swing in place and then fit it with more milliput.

This is where I stand some sanding later:

Fender will probably be shortened a bit at the ground end but that will have to wait until I got a stance dry fit with together with the modified frame and forks.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:08 AM   #142
Beakster
AF Newbie

Slowly but surely! An hour is certainly better than none. Looking good - keep at it!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #143
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Frame has been modified as per the ideas in post #140. Cut the foremost parts and made an insertion at a lower point so that the legs could be bent inwards. Put a single piece of styrene tubing from the head and and attached the legs with a small piece of brass rod for stability. Then I just added milliput to the cuts and sanded smooth when dried. Still a few yards to go..

Upper frame part is slightly bent to meet the lower stance.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #144
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Just realized that this build in a couple of months has been on for seven years and I'm still working on frame parts and haven't painted ONE piece :-)

Still getting great ideas though and still have to land the structure for the fork build-up. BUT THEN I'll get somewhere :-)
Old 12-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #145
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

The reworking of the frame is starting to give unwanted side effects. The new rake for the forks make the room for the tri-clamp a bit tight. I'm looking for a new set to replace the kit ones anyhow but I think I'll have to go gp-style if I don't want to rework the tank.

It's quite hard to determine the fork setup when I'm not completely done with the rear. I'll have to come up with some mock up solution to be able to work with the frame/swing/rear tire mounted together. Otherwise there will always be some millimeters here and there making trouble.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #146
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Day off from work and started working on the front end. I know where I want to go but haven't put much thought into how to get there.

I have the small sized gp rim I got from Ketje but I want street discs. I dug deep into my spare parts box and found some from the Ducati 916 and som from the Yamaha R1. As you can see the Ducati discs are a bit out of size for the rims (and a bit heavy as well)

Problem with the R1 discs are that the center hub is integrated in the rim. When using them on the M1 rims they will have nothing to be fitted on. Out came the saw and some surgery later I have to center hubs for the discs, they will also fit the job as distances between the rim and fork legs.

Next is the fork legs, triclamp and mud guard. Never scratched a fork before so that could be interesting.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #147
iborg
AF Newbie

I stumbled upon this upon visiting the board for the first time in months. I have several of these kits (I have no idea why I keep "acquiring them") that I want to build but their toy like qualities also stop me. Your detailed steps are getting me much closer to actually moving forward with this project. I hope you'll continue with your build so hopefully I'll restart mine.

Yours may be the best build of this kit that I have seen.
iborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #148
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
I stumbled upon this upon visiting the board for the first time in months. I have several of these kits (I have no idea why I keep "acquiring them") that I want to build but their toy like qualities also stop me. Your detailed steps are getting me much closer to actually moving forward with this project. I hope you'll continue with your build so hopefully I'll restart mine.

Yours may be the best build of this kit that I have seen.
Thanks! I hope that I can finish all of the ideas started...

I agree, the oob kit is VERY toyish and simplyfied, but on the good side the engine block is quite nice. I guess ther will not be that many parts on the kit that is left untouched when done but that's the fun part. The chopper segment leave you with eons of possibilities to tweak and tune (just take a look at some American chopper shows...)

The process has been quite slow but I hope that I'm starting to move towards some painting
Old 12-18-2015, 03:39 AM   #149
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Forks will be some hours of work. A lot of cutting, glueing and cleaning up. Good thing is that I know what I want to achieve, easier to work that way.

The fork legs are almost 70 mm wide in 1:1, using aluminum tube to get the right diameter. Fork bottoms have to be widened to fit the legs. I cut some mm of styrene tube and fitted it on top of the piece. I'll use some putty to smoothen the edge when I've remounted the caliper mounts that I cut off earlier.

The brass rod is drilled into the bottoms for stability.

The cut caliper mounts have a wrong angle for the new fork rake. I started sanding the angle steeper and glued some styrene rectangles to get the correct distance from the forks to accept the wider brake discs.

The modelling community is so great, asked on Scale Plasticcars for some calipers, got three! I'm going withe the center Brembo ones, they are sort of beefy, have better mounting slots and the larger Brembo logo.

Sorry for the poor quality...
Old 12-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #150
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Christmas holiday, carrols on the stereo and glue in the air!

Trying to get the swing arm test fitted with the frame. Had to rework the cradle lile pivot as it was warped. My idea is to paint the swing separately and then install it in the pivot cradle that has been glued to the upper part of the frame (below the seat) for stability. Dunno if it is going to work.
From tonights dry fitting I found out that the swing part has to be lengthened at the foremost part, where the brass tube will go through. Otherwise the fender will be to close to the frame/seat.

Also moved on with the forks. Kit triclamp has been cut and i have filed som concave shapes to fit the fork legs later on.

Thanks for watching!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chopper , scratchbuilding , wide rear wheel , zero paints
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes